Sick to my stomach

mommathea

Songster
10 Years
Feb 4, 2009
We had some friends over for a play date today. The kids wanted to see the chicks so I took one out to show them. I knew better than to let them hold any of the chicks, but the 3yr old grabbed it out of my hand and was squeezing it. Her mom and I were able to coaks it out of her hands but just as I went to put it back in the brooder she grabbed it again before her mom could reach her. The chick's neck snapped. I am so sick about it. It was 'Chicken Little' the runt that we thought wouldn't make it in the begining, but over the last week and become the most outgoing and most people friendly one.
I am so upset. I know it wasn't realy anyones falt. The mom was horrified, and offered to replace it. We were planning on getting 5 chicks, but decided to get 6 just in case, it happened to be the family favorite. I could have thrown up, when it died right there in my hand.
sad.png

I was prepared for one to not make it from disease, preditor, whatever, but not by 3yr old.

Oh man! That is so tough, I'm so sorry!!

It's hard to not get angry about stuff like that. On one hand, it's a kid who doesn't know better, but on the other hand
barnie.gif

I'm so sorry
hugs.gif

Sorry about your baby... the same thing happened to me last year...I let my neighbor come over and bring her kids and take pictures. Shoulda known better, but she puts up with all my stuff day in and day out. The chick died like, 20 minutes after they left... pretty sure it had a heart attack. I "if only'd" myself to death and it was the first one to die on me. I drove myself nuts. I finally consoled myself with the fact that everything that lives has numbered days... a time and a purpose. Hang in there... hug the 5 live ones! I have 45 more comin' in May and I have decided NO MORE KIDS! Some kids grow up with them and learn how to handle them....also I don't have kids so my chicks weren't acclimated to all the noise and screaming etc. To the kids they were just cute and cudlly and could be squeezed. It was horrible... I feel your pain. Just an accident.

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom