1. Breezy Acres

Breezy Acres New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    I have 3 bronze broadbreast turkeys (two toms and one hen), one royal palm hen and one bourbon red tom. Yesterday, one of the bronze toms started looking a little droopy and had diarreah. Today, he is very lathargic, sleepy and the classic yellow watery diarreah. I pulled him away from the others, isolated him in his own cage, and came in and googled his symptoms. He matches all the signs of black head. I let them free range on my 5 acre farm and they hang out with the hens in the barn. Even when I seperated them into their own run in the pasture, the chickens just went up and over the fencing. What do I do to heal my tom? Is there a vaccination so everyone can live together and stay healthy?

2. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    I am sure someone will reply later on from a vet somewhere that they know better but I always give my Turkeys 1 cc procaine penicillin under the skin on the breast and 1cc of tylan 200 in mouth when they are sick like that. Sometimes it cures them sometimes it don't. I always wait a day then give them another 1cc of tylan 200 in mouth and do not follow up with penicillin unless they continue to be droopy on 3rd day. Then I give them another shot of penicillin. If they still are not coming around then I will give them a amoxicillin capsule 500mg in mouth and they will swallow it easily if I have some left over from when I went to doctor. Amoxicillin works real well for turkeys and droopy colds. Make sure and feed them something special like bread or scraps, pieces of hotdogs, or something they would like and give them fresh water but I will put some sugar in it to give them energy and they tend to drink it more readily when they are sick if you sweeten it up a bit.
    I have found that a turkey will die quicker than a chicken when treating them so to give them something quick is usually good thing to do.

3. WilsonAcres

WilsonAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by