sick tom!!

coonhoundmama87

Songster
8 Years
Oct 26, 2011
Wisconsin
I noticed a few days ago my tom wasn't acting quite right but I thought it was just because he is lonely (our hens met an unfriendly end with a coyote). Well last night when I did the final check for the night he was sitting in his shelter instead of roosting outside like he normally does. I went to check on him and he had a gooey mucus coming from his mouth and would hardly move other than to try to clean it from his mouth. I grabbed him and put him in a cage alone. I mixed some electolyte powder with water and got him to drink that after I cleaned is mouth up. Then I mixed some neomycin powder with water and got him to drink some of that. And clean water as well. His head seemed a bit hot and it's been very hot here the last 2-3 days. I left him for the night. This morning the mucus had not come back but he still seemed weak, although was standing. He had pooped overnight, it was a yellow runny stool with some semi-solid green in it. I don't believe he ate. Again I got him to drink more of everything. It's much cooler outside today and his head doesn't feel as hot. I'm not sure what's wrong with him, I'm unfamiliar with turkeys. We had a hen and her two hen babies from last year for a year until we got him in March. He has been just fine until recently. My turkey's free range but he has been hanging out in the pen where my geese and some chickens live. Before that he roosted in a pen with ducks and chickens, which is also where the other turkeys had been since we got them. Is it possible he just got overheated or dehydrated or is this something more serious? TIA for any help you can give me!!

The yellow poop has me really concerned. It could be blackhead (histomoniasis). Yellow poop means that there is something going on with the liver. Here is some information from the Michigan DNR: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10370_12150_12220-26481--,00.html It could also be from not eating. To be on the safe side, I would get him on Flagyl (metronidazole, Fishzole) and possibly treat him for worms. That wouldn't explain the mucus, I don't know what that would be from unles possiby he got dehydrated?

I hope he feels better soon!

He is seeming to be a bit better the last time I checked on him. He was more alert and drinking water without me having to put his head in it. Still hadn't eatten though. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom