Sick? Trying to Crow? Or Just Being a Chicken?!?

anniegal

Songster
Oct 3, 2020
Central Wisconsin
Our two 16mo old Ameracaunas have always made strange sounds - more like "honks" vs "clucks".

But for the last month or so one of them has started making frequent and VERY obnoxious noises that are making us: 1) concerned she may have something serious going on; and 2) more than a little bit crazy!

I've just about decided to rename her Donkey (better than some alternatives, right?)

But other than these noises she seems *perfectly* fine. No loss of appetite, still laying (though less frequently after a broody phase and now some molting), plenty bossy to the others (she's prob top hen) but just... nothing truly worrisome.

But LISTEN to this - and imagine it repeated. A lot!

She does seem to do it most when something's made her excited: like if one of us comes near the run, or they have a new treat to enjoy, etc. Then she settles down. But NEVER makes "normal" noises...

Should I be worried?? Or is she just... being herself???

She's probably just letting the other chickens know that you're there or that something else is happening. My rooster has the bad habit of crowing at anything and everything. YOur hen might be doing the same! Do you have a rooster?

Oops, forgot that part.
No, no rooster. Just the 7 hens and now 3 month old chicks that are in their own separate but visible area of the run.
Yeah. When there's no rooster, one of the hens, no matter the age, if they're stubborn enough they'll try to take the rooster's spot. They'll just crow at anything. And yeah! Hens crow! They mostly only crow when they've just layed, but rooster-acting hens will just crow like a roo.

Back
Top Bottom