Sick turkey chick

Friend of Feathers

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 5, 2009
East Central, MO
I have a Black Spanish turkey chick that is a week and a half or so old. He/She was fine the first week, but the last few days it has been wobbly and lethargic. It is alert when I pick it up, but he has no energy. I've seen it eat, but don't recall seeing it drink lately. I have two others in with it that are doing fine. I think he might be dehydrated. Any suggestion on how to help him, if it's not too late by the time I get home.

If you have an eye dropper or syringe you can make sure it is getting fluids using one of these. Every few hours I would make sure it get some. You can also put sugar, pedialyte, gatorade in the water for extra energy. Perhaps offer some plain yogurt as well. Good luck.

My guy had a rough start as well. The first 3 days we didn't think he'd make it. I took a 1cc syringe(get em at walgreens or the pharmacy anywhere) I I used that to give him fluids and I also fed him turkey poult feed(purina game bird starter 24%)in mash form with warm water. I had to grind the crumbles down to dust practically to get it thru the syringe. I used a rolling pin and wax paper. Then I kept it as thick as I could and still be able to push the syringe. He had become so weak that feeding him this way was my only option. I parted his beak and stuck the syringe far enough down the right side of his throat that I made sure to miss the trachea behind his tongue. If you get food in the trach it causes resp infection of failure/death. It gets really easy after a few tries. I also gave him supplemental water in this way with electrolyte and pedialyte stuff in it. I fed and watered him in this way for 2 days and tapered off. He began to see that it was feeding time and he would take the syringe on his own. You bypass the whole swallowing mechanism and get right to the crop. Be careful not to overfeed and definitely make sure they are pooping well. Good luck. Hope this helps your little guy.

We use a coffee to grind up the food to put in a syringe. Works great. We now have two of them for for coffee and one for critter emergencies.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm sure they would have worked, but when I got home from work today he had already passed away. I had another turkey chick that acted the same way a week or so ago, but I had just gotten him the same day he started acting sick, so I acted quickly thinking he had maybe been unable to get to the food and water at the store. That one has been well ever since. The one I lost today I'd had for over a week when he started acting sick. I was afraid that he had gotten into some of the chick feed. I keep them seperated, but the turkeys can fly over the partition. Anyway, someone at the local farm supply store that there is an ingriedent in the medicated chick starter that can kill other fowl. I had assumed that is what had happened, but after reading suggestions from past theads, I realized he was probably just dehydrated.
hit.gif
I'm very upset to have lost him, especially since the same treatment I had already administered to the other turkey would probably have saved him. I'm beginning to think that turkeys are puny little birds, but I love their little chirps and purrs. Everyone is so helpful and sincere on this forum. I appreciate all of your help. I am just beginning my fowl adventure so I am sure I will turn to all of you again.

I am so sorry that you lost the little one. Yes, poults are fragile and need extra help to get started. Out of the 15 I ordered, I feel fortunate that I only lost 3. Best of luck in the future with others.

Very sorry to hear the little guy didn't make it.

Turkey poults are much more fragile than chicks until they are about 8 weeks old. Most importantly they MUST have:

-High protein feed, or they will die on you (24-26% gamebird starter is best. Some like medicated (to prevent cocci); others don't like medicated. You can also hard-boil chicken eggs and feed the poults mashed egg yolks.

- Fresh, clean bedding

- Fresh, clean water

- Do not raise them on dirt until they are older. In my pen, I just put a thick layer of hay or straw on top of the dirt if that's the only flooring you have.

- Do not allow them near bigger birds or big turkeys.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom