Sick turkey died this morning

kcw0525

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2015
Choctaw
I'm new to BYC. Glad to see there's a turkey forum as well.

My friend and land-mate has 5 chickens and 2 turkeys (male and female). We love the turkeys. They are water hogs and come running over any time we turn the water on. Tom and Georgia (for Curious George) are their names. Well recently, Tom got sick. I think it was Thursday, Sept 24th. The day before, he was chasing Georgia around, gobbling, puffed up and everything normal. The next morning, I went to her coop to check for eggs, (she had already let them out, and her chickens are new to laying) and noticed a TON of solid poops in one area, like someone (obviously a turkey) had pooped literally all night. I thought, oh man, someone must have eaten something bad. Well, a couple hours later, my husband and I checked on her flock again and, after some very hard looking through our woods, we found Tom was all by himself, and acting very sleepy and lethargic. My husband went to pet him and he woke back up and started walking back toward the rest of the flock (out of the brush). It was very weird. We isolated him in a dog crate at night, but always let him out in the mornings. My friend got some dewormer and some antibiotics for his water. She cleaned out the coop, removed all the pine shavings, and put the medication in the waterer in the coop as well. We noticed that Tom didn't really want to eat or drink. He would start to drink again by the next night. The next day, I let him out and I worked out in the yard so I could keep an eye on him. I noticed that he would stick to the flock for a little bit and then stop and lay down and fall asleep and the flock would leave him. When my husband got home, we went up to Tom and when we got to him, he saw us and got up, but didn't act alarmed. He has diarrhea all over him and in his dirt hole he had laid down in. This went on for a few days, then we noticed, or thought, he was acting better. Monday this week, he started acting better in the mornings, reacting to the flock and keeping up with them, but still walking slowly, but by the afternoons, he would get groggy again. By Tuesday, he was starting to react to the water again, getting all excited about water. But still, by evening, he would be slow and sleepy again. Yesterday, we thought, for sure, he's going to get better. We thought he had a flu or bug or something, but it hadn't transferred to the other turkey or any of the chickens. We did research and looked up all kinds of diseases but it was hard to find anything, since they are susceptible to a ton of things. We thought we would wait it out, because he was starting to act better. For a week now, we had isolated him at night, keeping him in the dog crate. Last night, it rained. Our friend worried about him getting wet and cold and she wasn't able to do anything before she left for work. By time my husband and I got up a couple hours after she left for work, we went down to tend to the flocks and realized that Tom had died. She said he was alive still when she left. So we know that he did, in fact, die sometime between 6 and noon.

My husband and I broke the news to our friend over the phone and she said she expected him to die all along. We recommended that she take him to a vet to find out why he died, so we could know if the rest of our flocks were in danger, although no other bird is showing signs of any kind of sickness. Throughout the whole thing, he didn't eat much.

Now that I've laid out the whole story, any of you have any idea what it could have possibly been? I don't know if we will be able to get to a vet.

Sounds like coccidiosis to me, chickens can carry a strain that they don't get but turkeys will. There are commercially available drugs to treat it if the other turkey gets sick but I have cured my turkeys with cayenne pepper. Add a couple teaspoons to the food and maybe water for a couple days or until she seems fully better, hope this helps if you need it.

Sounds like coccidiosis to me, chickens can carry a strain that they don't get but turkeys will. There are commercially available drugs to treat it if the other turkey gets sick but I have cured my turkeys with cayenne pepper. Add a couple teaspoons to the food and maybe water for a couple days or until she seems fully better, hope this helps if you need it.
I think you mean blackhead (histomoniais).
big_smile.png
It's a protozoa, as is coccidiosis, and it can be a problem when one keeps chickens and turkeys together.
Treatment for it is metronidazole, and the amount I give mine is 25mg per pound once a a day for five days, though they will often have E.coli and that needs something like Baytril.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC and sorry for your loss. With turkeys and peafowl the first illnesses that come to my mind are:

• Worms (large roundworms, cecal worms and capillary worms).
  • Blackhead (histomoniasis).
  • Bacterial infection
  • Coccidosis
  • Necrotic Enteritis

Safeguard given orally five days in a row will treat worms.

Blackhead treatment is metronidazole.

Baytril would be my drug of choice for most bacterial infections

Amprolium (Corid, Amprol, AmproMed) is what I use to treat coccidiosis.

Metronidazole is what I use to treat necrotic enteritis, though other drugs, like Tylan and maybe amoxicillin could be used.

Many states offer free necropsies, so check out these links:

-Kathy

Oh yeah could be blackhead, I heard there are different strains of coccidiosis that affects different kinds of poultry and my turkeys usually get coccidiosis so I didn't even think of blackhead. But yeah, it probably is blackhead (using iPod so hard to write).

Oh yeah could be blackhead, I heard there are different strains of coccidiosis that affects different kinds of poultry and my turkeys usually get coccidiosis so I didn't even think of blackhead. But yeah, it probably is blackhead (using iPod so hard to write).
Turkeys get seven strains of coccidiosis and chickens get at least nine... ducks have there own, as do geese, peafowl, guineas, etc. Have a cool picture that shows the different types that chickens and turkeys get... will look for that and post it if I can find it.

-Kathy

It may be sour crop. Sour crop is when the bird eats grass that is too long, or too much of it. Also not enough grit may cause this. The grass clumps up into a ball inside their crop and causes things like that.
could be wrong though
tongue.png

It may be sour crop. Sour crop is when the bird eats grass that is too long, or too much of it. Also not enough grit may cause this. The grass clumps up into a ball inside their crop and causes things like that.
could be wrong though
tongue.png
Welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

So we know it's not blackhead because we did our research and the turkey didn't exhibit signs of that. We know it wasn't worms, but we still gave him dewormer. Our other turkey isn't sick at all.

Thanks for the information though. Also, our state (OK) doesn't offer any kind of biopsies for free. :(

So we know it's not blackhead because we did our research and the turkey didn't exhibit signs of that. We know it wasn't worms, but we still gave him dewormer. Our other turkey isn't sick at all.

Thanks for the information though. Also, our state (OK) doesn't offer any kind of biopsies for free. :(

@kcw0525 , I mean this in the nicest way possible, but how can you be so sure that he didn't have worms and/or blackhead? All of the symptoms in your first post fit both blackhead and worm issues, but they also fit the other diseases I mentioned. Would it surprise you to know that not all birds with blackhead have yellow poop? However, all will be depressed, fluffed, off feed and all will have diarrhea. Some will drink lots of water, some will drink less than usual, and often it's only one in the flock that gets it.

I'm not saying that it was blackhead or worms, but it sure could have been. Only way to rule them out is with a necropsy.

You didn't say what wormer you put in the water, but if it was Wazine or PigSwig, you should know those products only treat large roundworms. Best way to worm is to give Valbazen or Safeguard orally.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom