Sick Turkey Hen

rmsellers

Hatching
Sep 16, 2021
I have a broad-breasted hen almost 2 years old that's sick. I also have a tom and hen. They all 3 live together in a nice roomy barn with lots of room to roam outside in gravel and grassy areas. I am aware that these birds are meat birds and not meant to live long lives. Unfortunately I found that out after I bought them.

About 5 days ago I went out to the barn and Lucy (the sick hen) had dropped about 50% of her feathers overnight. They are growing back, but I can't get her to eat much at all, only drinks a lot of water. Her poop is almost all water with a bit of green and sometimes yellow mucous with white through it as well. She picks around, but mostly in the sandy gravel areas for grit. She's losing weight every day. She's not active, but she will run away from me if she feels I'm trying to catch her. I have felt up and down her throat and craw area and I don't feel any blockage. She is isolated from the other ones. I've tried the following:

yogurt
cantelope
watermelon
electrolyte mix of water, honey, salt and soda
regular food which is high protein 17% to 18%
1cc of LA-200 injection yesterday at the recommendation of a vet who has experience with turkeys.
Tonight, I mixed the apple cider vinegar in her water (1 tbls per gallon), hoping that might help somehow.

She has eaten a little bit of yogurt, but I really don't know how much she should have. I've read where turkey shouldn't have any dairy products at all. There are so many conflicting posts out there. Does any one have any suggestions? I appreciate any help you might give.

RS from Montana

Also, she doesn't appear to have blackhead. Her head appears to be normal compared to the other hen who is fine.

With you saying she lost a lot of feathers but they are growing back she might be in a heavy molt. It is that time of year and they do act off and can eat less during a molt

Back
Top Bottom