Sick Weak Cornish Fryer Please Help

heatherc23

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
I purchased 10 fryers. They are approx. 4 weeks old tomorrow. This isn't our first time raising fryers. They are kept on pine shavings. The shavings are replaced every other day. I believe in keeping things I'm going to eat...clean. They are in a heated enclosure. Because of the shavings, we have always made sure to watch for any birds that have plugged rear ends...so that hasn't been a problem. They are fed meat bird food and fresh water free choice. Occassionally they are given fresh produce, usually lettuce. Everyone has been doing well and thriving until yesterday. I noticed one of the birds not interested in eating and it appears slightly smaller in weight then the rest. When I replaced the water this evening it did take a quick drink, but after I brought it to the waterer. It spends a lot of time standing with eyes closed which for people that have these birds, standing other than to eat/drink is unusual. It isn't at all interested in food. I'm not positive if there is any discharge from the nasal area. Within minutes of drinking water it shook it's head a few times and I did see moisture. This could have been from the drink as I don't see discharge otherwise. It can walk with no problem. I just don't see any signs of actual disease or injury. I have separated this bird from the rest in a small enclosure with food, water and heat. Although these are meat birds, I care for the birds we eat just as well as the layers so I'd like to find something to make this guy feel better. Obviously the feed store is closed until the am so I'm seeking advice from others in the mean time. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hmmm... It's really hard to say at this point. It sounds like you've hit on all the points and suggestions that I would make, so I don't really have any extra advice to give you.

You've separated the chick from the rest, you are keeping things clean, and they are getting plenty to eat and drink. Sounds like you are doing everything right.

Meat birds do however, have more health related issues than regular chickens do.

Maybe someone other than me can chime in here and give you some sound advice.

Good luck with them and welcome to BYC!
smile.png

Thank you for the response. I forgot to mention I brought it into the house.....easier to keep an eye on it. This morning I noticed it eating a little...so maybe it just needs some time away from the others to get it's strength back up. Just to get it through the night, I placed it into a small animal carrier. It's large enough for it to stand up and move around without knocking over the waterer or feeder. Today I'll put it into a large tote so I can raise the food and water back up off the ground. They'd lay in one place and eat that way if you let them. I'll give it some more time. Thanks again for your response.

Glad to hear that it is eating some this morning!

Are you noticing any discharge from the nares this morning?

This is why I'm stumped.....no discharge, no running stools. Can walk normally. The feed store told me about a highly contagious condition that includes the symptoms this bird is having, except it should also have discharge and loose stools. I'm not thrilled about medicating if not absolutely necessary as these birds are intended to be food. It is doing better today. Right now it is in a small animal carrier with enough room to stand and move around. Tonight I'm going to set up a larger enclosure so it will have more room and I can lift the water and food back up off the ground so it has to stand to eat/drink. I'm not going to put it back into general population until I'm positive it is back to normal. Thank you for the response. Let me know if you come up with any other ideas. Meanwhile, I'll keep caring for it and I'll let everyone know how it does.

Back
Top Bottom