Sick Wyandotte

lindylou47

Chirping
7 Years
May 26, 2012
Wa.
Hi everyone. I'm hoping Someone will be able to give me some advice. I have a Silver Wyandotte, her name is Margaret(Margy for short) We thought she had the stuck egg problem, can never remember the name they call it. We took her to the vet, and they drained her. We had been giving her warm baths, and using Vaseline. The vet drained her a couple times, but really wasn't getting much.
We thought she was getting better, she went back to eating and drinking. Now it sounds funny, but she walks different than before. She walks more like my runner ducks, like shes standing up. When she first comes outside to play and forage with the other chickens, she does pretty good, but after about a half hour, shes exhausted, so we carry her to the coop. None of the other chicks are bothering her, in fact they seem to be protecting her. Anyway, she has dwindled down to about 2 or 3 lbs. we have 8 chickens, and 4 ducks, and nobody else shows signs of being sick.
We did what the vet suggested, and are giving her a lot of protein, but it doesn't seem to be helping. If anyone has ever had this problem, or has any suggestions, we would really appreciate hearing from you! Thanks, Linda @ Margy

If the vet drained her, more than likely she has ascites, which is fluid in the abdomen. It's usually a sign of organ failure. I'm surprised the vet didn't mention it. She's walking upright because of the fluid. I personally would put her down, especially if she's losing weight as well. Sorry.

TY for your response. She doesn't appear to have any fluid, all we can feel is bone, but I think u may be right as she is getting worse. She was beautiful, really sorry to see her go
13892354_1142351969157036_2023556985112126085_n.jpg
I'm sure we all feel that way about our chicks!

I find chickens to be healthy up until they are not. I personally have not have had any luck fixing a sick chicken long term, though I have squeezed a few more decent months out of some, most don't live long once they start going down hill. I have had some wonderful chickens, and miss many of them.

Back
Top Bottom