sick yearling peacock

scrtacres

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
hi, I have a sick yearling peacock. In December we almost lost him to "crook neck", we gave him medicine to help for several days and fed him yogurt by syringe. He came out of it but today I noticed he was just laying in the house not hardly moving. I removed him from the rest of the birds and placed him back inside the barn by himself. I began administrating the meds he had before since the signs were the same before he got so sick. Someone had recommended giving him Pepto Bismol, not hearing about this being used on peafowl, I wanted to get other opinions on the matter.

For starters, if he were mine I would bring him inside where it's warm and see what his poop looked like. Do you have a kitchen scale or a way to weigh him?

-Kathy

Sadly he died about 20 minutes after I brought him inside.
So sorry for your loss... I don't know if you're up to it or not, but you might want to do your own necropsy to rule out blackhead and/or an intestinal infection. Sorry, I don't mean to sound insensitive, but if you have other peafowl it would be a good idea for you to do one. If you just want to bury him, I understand, that's often what I do.

Again, sorry for your loss,
Kathy

When I brought him inside, he was showing the same signs that he did in December, he wasn't showing them when I first removed him from the group. I was told that since he had crook neck in December that he would likely get it again. Never thought it would happen so quickly. I will just bury him and watch the rest. Luckily I keep meds on hand for this problem.

Sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

I see you have another pea in your avatar,perhaps we can help you prevent another loss.
Most of us have lost peas here for one reason or another, they go so fast, i have seen them fine one day sick the next and die within 24 hours leaving us in a panic not knowing what went wrong and can it go wrong again before we find out what was wrong to begin with

Crook neck can be caused from a vitamin deficiency, i have seen it in duck about once a year in hatch lings, poly-vi-sol was given for a couple days and they/it were fine.

What do you feed your peas?
Are they with other kinds of fowl?
Where do they live? free range or penned?
When was the last time you wormed them and what did you use?

Last edited:
If they stop eating use panacure. Parasites will kill them in a few days. I watch every day to make sure mine are eating.

Back
Top Bottom