Sick?

michaelapop127

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2016
Adams Massachusetts
This morning I let the girls out of the coop and one did not come off of the roost right away, I took her down and I went to pet her and she squatted which is normal but then laid down until I was done and then she left the coop. She has been walking around very slowly standing still in some places and finding quiet corners of the yard or the dust hole to kind of just stay there and lay down or just stand there. I checked her vent it's clean and moist she is not egg bound she is a new layer she has clear eyes and bright red comb she will pick at the feed but hasn't drank water yet. Her tail feathers are pointing down and she lets me come right over to her and pick her up without looking at me or checking me out. I really hope she's okay everyone else is acting fine. There were two soft shell/no she'll eggs in the coop this morning one hole yolk the other just the soft shell part. Any thoughts?

I think that your chicken is sick. I had a buff orpington just like that. She would stay in the house and when she did move it was very slow. I tried putting it in a separate pen and giving it a heat lamp but she did not make it. I would suggest maybe calling the vet and seeing what they have to say.

Check her crop to see if it is empty, full, hard, soft, or puffy. Look for any lice or mites on her skin, especially around the vent, neck, and under wings. She could be suffering from one of the laying disorders such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, or other. I would confine her to a crate with electrolytes added to the water, and her food. Give a little sift egg daily. Here is an article about laying problems:
http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/

Happy to report I came home from work expecting her to be worse and she is acting as if nothing was the matter this morning. Eating drinking going after the ice cubes I put in the water bowl running around and very perky with the other girls. The bulge in which I suspected to be crop bound is no longer noticeable and when felt with my fingers it feels empty. I did pick up some grit on my way home so maybe this won't happen again

May I ask what is crop bound. I have a small chic about 6-7 weeks old with similar symptoms. It is also cold to touch. I did the probiotic water with vitamins so far.

the bird hold its food in its chest area you can see and feel a bulge sometimes until it passes through the it's digestive system but sometimes long grasses hay etc can get bound up in the crop and it will be hard and unable to pass through for the bird to digest it. There's a great article on here about crop bound if you search it in the box

Back
Top Bottom