Sick?

Chicks Corner

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 28, 2014
Ft Worth Texas
i am currently raising 13 1 week old baby chicks of various breeds. I incubated and hatched then from a friends farm. I have 2 chicks that are shaking their heads a LOT, almost like a sneeze, and one was panting but now is just breathing hard. I have separated them and have given some food and water. They have great appetites and are drinking ok too. Seem fine other than 2 symptoms above... any ideas?

What is the temperature where you are keeping these chicks? They might be to hot. If the temps fine and they're eating and drinking, I'd not worry to much.

I had the temp Gague at chick height, at bottom of the box, it’s a big wired dog kennel. The heat is directed at 1 spot kinda high up on one side in the center. There is card board on sides to keep chicks in and heat in but plebty of spots for air flow. The temp has gradually made its way to 90 now. It was only that high because that is what I read was correct. The rest of them seem great was why I didn’t think heat. I have moved them to a smaller wooden crate with another heat source and they are not panting but still heaving real heavy when breathing like you would if you ran a long hard run, and shaking their heads as of something is tickling feathers or nose. I have looked and do t see anything there to irritate them. Thank you for the replies!

I had the temp Gague at chick height, at bottom of the box, it’s a big wired dog kennel. The heat is directed at 1 spot kinda high up on one side in the center. There is card board on sides to keep chicks in and heat in but plebty of spots for air flow. The temp has gradually made its way to 90 now. It was only that high because that is what I read was correct. The rest of them seem great was why I didn’t think heat. I have moved them to a smaller wooden crate with another heat source and they are not panting but still heaving real heavy when breathing like you would if you ran a long hard run, and shaking their heads as of something is tickling feathers or nose. I have looked and do t see anything there to irritate them. Thank you for the replies!
What kind of bedding do you use?..

Back
Top Bottom