Sick?

sheep

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Being paranoid as I am, what early signs should I look for for gapeworms? And if it's a possibility, what should I do? Is it possible to acquire them from eating grass and sand?

I only ask because he's breathing a little heavily and it's a comfortable temp. in my room.
hmm.png

My gosling is only a few weeks old, just starting to get his little white feathers.

Edit:
I've also noticed his feet feel hot. I gave him cool fresh water, I'll be keeping a close eye on him..

Last edited:
Keep in mind that its temp is alot higher than yours is. Also I am guessing getting feathers might be a stressfull period, mine do pant alot when they get stressed... and anything from a new visitor to changing up the food are stresses to them. But I have some drama queens though.
I have done a little research by google and the symtoms of gapeworm would take several weeks to get to the point of panting. There are other signs though you would be looking for first.

My goslings would pant like mad when they were warm. I think they just don't regulate their body temps very well until they are older. It used to scare me too
smile.png
but since they can't sweat, they pant like dogs.

Let him swim in room temp water. OTherwise it looks funny but he is fine
smile.png

Gape worms are rare in geese, more common in ducks and chickens who eat earthworms. Gapeworms are supposedly carried by earthworms (???).

I'm still concerned, though.. he occasionally 'buzzes' when he's panting, I'm not sure if that labored or him just making noise. I lost my babies last year for silly reasons, I just don't want him to fall ill and be able to do nothing about it.

Mine buzzed too. He sounds OK, just warm. Let him dip in some water and preen when he pants. Spritz him with some water on his bill, they let a lot of heat out through their bill and feet. If you've been very careful about your gosling, his feed and environment, he probably won't get sick. They are naturally healthy and resistant to disease. I get being a worrier hon ((((hugs))))) but your gosling sounds normal.

One thing I learned to tell myself: if the animal is eating and drinking, has bright eyes, and is pooping normal poops, it 99.999% sure that the animal is fine. Even if a leg is broken, and eye is swelled shut, or it has the skin on it's entire back ripped off by a turkey (my pullet). No matter what else my imagination gets up to. And it gets up to many things.

After losing goslings last year no wonder you are on high alert.

Back
Top Bottom