SICKCHICKS

crazychickenhug

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
I recently bought some black copper Marans chicks from a breeder. When I picked up the chicks I noticed they seemed a little lethargic but the breens chicks from a breeder. When I picked up the chicks I noticed they seemed a little lethargic but the breeder assured me they would be fine. I took them home and put them in tub I had prepared for them and left them alone to rest. couple of hours later I went to check on them and 2 were laying on their sids barely breathing up set I started really examining them and I noticed 1 had crooked beak and 3 more had toes missing and their wing are bigger than the rest of their bodies. They have trouble keeping their balance and 5 of the 8 have died in 2 days! One thing the breeder said to me that I thought was odd is that she used medicated chick starter on all of her chickens adult and chick alike. Do you think this is a result of inbreeding or could it be something contagious? I've tried to call her and she won't return my calls and I'm scared it could be something air borne that could spread to my other chicks.

images

Welcome to BYC!

This very sad. I would take these chicks back and never buy from this breeder again. And yes, adult chickens should not be fed medicated feed as it can cause birth defects in babies. These birds will no doubt be sick the rest of their days, if they survive. I am very sorry for this experience you have had. All I can do is give you a hug, as I have no advice for this situation.
hugs.gif

Is there anyone that I can call about her? she won,t answer my calls she met me at a car wash because she said she didn't allow anyone on her place because she didn't want someone bringing disease to her farm I paid $60.00 for the chicks.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! So sorry about the problems you are having with the chicks. X2 what TwoCrows said. Do you know anything about her, her name, where she lives etc? Can you take one or more of the dead chicks to a vet for a necropsy or send it off to a lab?

You might want to post in the Emergencies forum about the surviving chicks if you can't take them back. www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I called my vet and they said I needed to take them to Gonzales which is hours away from me. I finally reached her on the phone, and she told in precise terms to go F- myself that had the heat was to high in the tub I was using as brooder, thats what caused all of this not her. I didn't think heat could do that I've raised 4 batches of chicks prior to these without a single mishap whats troubling is she advertises on craigs list. A friend of mine said she had a bad experience as well when she saw the chicks she was shocked and asked the name of the breeder and told me she had similar experience.

I am so so sorry. You shouldn't have had to have this experience. She needs to be shut down and stop hatching all these poor chicks.

Is there some sort of humane society or some place you can report this person? Very sad.

You need to go to a professional hatchery or breeder that can set you up with healthy and happy babies.
hugs.gif

Yes I am going to report her and yes from now on I'll use a hatchery.Thanks on a more positive note I just had lavender marans chick hatch out of some eggs I bought from ebay!

Congrats on the hatch!!! At least you have something positive going in your poultry world.

And as for this bad experience, I hope it doesn't sour you to keeping chickens or going to breeders. There are some fine breeders out there especially here on BYC. Some quality birds can be found from members here.

Enjoy your new hatchlings!

Back
Top Bottom