Sickie Chickie

Chickadee Chick

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 4, 2013

I got my chickens about a week ago and they've been having problems.
They're still young.
One of them barely moves around and always looks sleepy.
Below her left eye looks pink and a bit puffy.
I'm not sure what's wrong with her.
We tried treating them all for worms but it hadn't changed her actions.
Any ideas of what could be wrong?

Last edited:

I got my chickens about a week ago and they've been having problems.
They're still young.
One of them barely moves around and always looks sleepy.
Below her left eye looks pink and a bit puffy.
I'm not sure what's wrong with her.
We tried treating them all for worms but it hadn't changed her actions.
Any ideas of what could be wrong?
Your bird probably has either a respiratory infection or a ear infection. Is it just that area that is swollen, or are her wattles and comb swollen? If more than that area is swollen, its likely a respiratory infection.

You'll need to get some antibiotics to clear up whatever that is. Tylan50 would probably work if it is a respiratory disease, and it would help with an ear infection too. Baytril and Penicillin would be two good antibiotics for an ear infection.

Well, from the looks of it your chickie has Infectious Coryza. "It is an acute respiratory disease of chickens characterized by nasal discharge, sneezing, and swelling of the face under the eyes. It is distributed worldwide. The disease is seen only in chickens" Basic symptoms for this. I have a hen who is in quarantine right now for this. I've had to take her to the vet to have all the stuff in that pocket taken out and it's been really hard on her. What everyone on here recommended for me was a dose of Tylan 50 for 1 week and keep ALL birds infected with symptoms in quarantine. It's a shot for cattle for respiratory issues but you can give it orally to chickens. 1/2cc for full size birds and 1/4 cc for bantam sized. something that must be warned about is that once your flock is infected with this, they will ALWAYS have it. They will carry this disease throughout their life. So if you trade or sell a chicken to someone else, you are infecting their flock with it as well and no one wants that. You can get Tylan at the co op or a tractor supply. Don't use the Tylan 200 as it's too strong for chickens. it's gonna take a little while and some TLC to get over this so be patient and best of luck with your flock!

Your bird probably has either a respiratory infection or a ear infection. Is it just that area that is swollen, or are her wattles and comb swollen? If more than that area is swollen, its likely a respiratory infection.

You'll need to get some antibiotics to clear up whatever that is. Tylan50 would probably work if it is a respiratory disease, and it would help with an ear infection too. Baytril and Penicillin would be two good antibiotics for an ear infection.

Its only that area. Ill try to run to the store tomorrow to get that medicine.

Back
Top Bottom