Help! Sick Chicken

Cinnamon321

Hatching
Feb 5, 2024
I have a sick chicken that I cannot figure out what is wrong with her. She is gasping for breath and not eating. She does not have sour crop, it is not impacted either. It is not water belly or egg bound. She does not have runny or puffy eyes and no sneezing. Since she has not eaten in 4 days, she is looking thin. I put peppermint oil on a paper towel next to her and she came out side and sit in the sun today. Otherwise no change. I have been raising chickens for 3 years along with guinea fowl and thought I had most issues figured out. I am at a loss as what to do. Does anyone have suggestion.

How old is she? What is your general location? Have you wormed her lately, and if so, what with? What are her poops looking like, and pictures of her or poop are welcome. Is her tail position up or down? Can she stand and walk without problems? Can you take a flashlight and look into her beak for any yellow or white material or mucus? Can she drink fluids without gasping?

She been wormed. Poop looks fine. I put her on Poultry Cell, B-12, with apple cider vinegar yesterday. This morning (day 7) she did eat a spinach leaf dipped in the mixture. But still gasping. Standing better today.

What did you worm with? Gasping could be a respiratory infection or worms. I like Valbazen 1/2 ml orally once and repeated in 10 days. Or using SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1.25 ml given orally for 5 straight days. That will treat most worms including round, capillary and gapeworms. Try to look inside her beak and throat for anything stuck or unusual.

I've always used pumpkin seeds with no issue. Also they free range. Nothing in throat. Always very healthy. Had first racoon on property 9 days ago but did not get in hen house do to my pyrenes dog. I will try your wormer and see. Thanks

I've always used pumpkin seeds with no issue. Also they free range. Nothing in throat. Always very healthy. Had first racoon on property 9 days ago but did not get in hen house do to my pyrenes dog. I will try your wormer and see. Thanks
Pumpkin seeds are not wormers. They do contain some anthelmintic properties but the amount of seeds it would take to reduce some parasites by an appreciable level, would likely harm the birds since they contain antinutritional/ toxic properties.
Neither is avc, garlic, d.e, chili powders, cinnamon, parsley or oregano, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom