• what to feed a chicken who will not eat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • how to make a chicken eat

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Greta the chicken lover

In the Brooder
Dec 29, 2023
My chicken will not eat and I do not know what to do!!!!! My chicken (Nightshade) is a young Belgium Du'ccle. She will not eat! Her crop is getting smaller and she is sick. She has been sick for a few days and has not eaten. She cannot move her legs but her wings can move. I have been trying to feed her water with a bit of honey because she is drinking. But she does not want to drink it. We do not know what she is sick with! Please help ME!!!! I just want my little Night to be okay 😥. Help Nightshade. She is so young, she has her whole life ahead of her!

Last edited:
Sorry I cant offer any advice. But,, there are others that will come across this post with possible help.
I know how you feel,,, :hugs I feel same way about my chickens.

WISHING YOU BEST,,:hugs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

If your hen won’t eat you need to bottle feed her. I had a hen who all of the sudden would not eat so I concocted a nutritious liquid and bottle feed her twice a day for about a month and a half until she finally started eating again. I didn’t have any animal bottles at the time so I used an icing bottle I had in hand and it worked perfectly fine. To be clear bottle feeding is only to keep them alive while you find out the underlying issue though it is not actually the solution.

How long has she been sick? What her diet? When did she last lay an egg? If she can’t move her legs it could be a vitamin deficiency, try giving her some nutri drench or poultry cell and see if that helps.

Attachments

• 20231231_110208.jpg
    20231231_110208.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 62
If your hen won’t eat you need to bottle feed her. I had a hen who all of the sudden would not eat so I concocted a nutritious liquid and bottle feed her twice a day for about a month and a half until she finally started eating again. I didn’t have any animal bottles at the time so I used an icing bottle I had in hand and it worked perfectly fine. To be clear bottle feeding is only to keep them alive while you find out the underlying issue though it is not actually the solution.

How long has she been sick? What her diet? When did she last lay an egg? If she can’t move her legs it could be a vitamin deficiency, try giving her some nutri drench or poultry cell and see if that helps.
She is a very young pullet so cannot lay yet. Her diet is layer mash, bugs, greens and sometimes oats. She had been sick since boxing day night and I do not think it is a nutri drench or a poultry cell but thanks any way. I am not very worried about her legs because I can just put her in a wheel chair.

Back
Top Bottom