Sickly hen

twagoner

Songster
7 Years
Nov 2, 2016
I have a sickly hen who is drinking, but not eating the hen food. All my hens are unrestricted in my backyard, so she must be getting nourishment from stuff that’s on the ground. She is underweight. She has been acting sick for four days, so I’m amazed she is still alive. She is able to walk around the yard slowly and is semi-social with the other hens. She is able to jump up on the roost every night. Her feces is clear diarrhea, with tiny pieces of bright yellow stuff in there. Over the 2-3 years I’ve had her, she has never laid many eggs and went through a period a couple years ago when her eggshells were weak. I have oyster shells and ground up eggshells in the hen food all the time now. I am currently deworming the entire flock with Corid. Any idea what is wrong with her?

HI twagoner,

foodwise you could try to feed your hen an egg. When they are not eating they sometimes still eat eggs. And in my personal experience, although it's not written down anywhere as far as I know, raisins will be eaten too if you place them on your hand and keep your hand in front of them.

As for poopdiagnosis I tag @casportpony
Keep us updated about her situation

HI twagoner,

foodwise you could try to feed your hen an egg. When they are not eating they sometimes still eat eggs. And in my personal experience, although it's not written down anywhere as far as I know, raisins will be eaten too if you place them on your hand and keep your hand in front of them.

As for poopdiagnosis I tag @casportpony
Keep us updated about her situation
Thx. I’ve never given a sick hen egg. She received water and egg hourly today. She is much weaker today. She tries to sit up, but is too weak to stand. When I put her to bed around 9 pm, she was still alive. She amazes me! She’s a fighter! I’ll let you know tomorrow morning if she is still alive.

Back
Top Bottom