Sickly looking comb

Meghancauthorn

In the Brooder
Aug 26, 2022
Can anyone help me out with what might be ailing my chicken? I have attached a picture of her comb. She's very lethargic and seems to have diarrhea. I'm giving her electrolyte water and keeping an eye on her. I'm not sure what's wrong with her so I don't know what medication route to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much in advance! PXL_20221112_201924791.jpg

How old is she? Has she laid eggs recently or been molting? Her comb looks very dry and scaly. I might try some coconut oil or vaseline on the comb. It looks like another chicken has pecked her comb, or she has injured it on some fencing. What do her poops look like? Has she lost any weight? Can you feel of her crop early in the morning before eating or drinking, and tell us if it is empty or full, firm or puffy. Has she been eating and drinking?

She hasn't been laying, and I would say that she's molting since she has rough looking feathers. I haven't seen her eat today, but she has been drinking. Yesterday she was eating almost normally. Today, her crop is empty today, but I have been feeling it daily. I wouldn't call it hard or puffy, I would say it feels gravely. She's definitely has lost weight. She's almost 8 months old. Poop is wetish. I had to clean her bottom today.

She is only 8 months old? I would try to get her eating some scrambled egg bits, canned tuna or cat food, and add some water to some chicken feed for interest. Recheck her crop in the early morning to see if it has emptied.

Thank you, I will try your suggestions. And, yes, she's only 8 months old, but she's had a few struggles. She injured her leg and almost bled to death, then when I got that healed she picked at it an opened it up again.

She gets picked on a little bit, not as much as I feared she would. We have one roo that's roughly the same age as her and 3 cockerels that are around 8 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom