Sickly new chicks

The pea lady

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2020
good aftetnoon all! New to the aite amd more importantly new to owning and caring for peafowl. Last Friday (July 10th) we received our order for 6 Delaware chicks, 15 guinea chicks and 4 peachicks. All looked well. Saturday and Sunday seemed the same. Monday I started to notice that one of my peachicks, Freddie, was acting off, wings dropped, not responsive to when I come up to the cage. The other 3 George, Gobble and Pecks still run over, peck my fingers and so on. Freddie is very lethargic doesnt seem to want to eat or drink on his own, ive been tube feeding for 2 days. He (or she) does get up and walk around. All the chicka are together at thia point getting medicated chick started feed amd the peas are getting meal worm snacks twice a day. I had to move Freddie to outside the main cage ao je wont get trampled on. Any advice on helping my little guy?
20200715_134135.jpg

Like Bear said it is most likely Cocci or it got chilled in transit. You do have a heat lamp on them, right? I would also be careful of mealworms and treats esp. if they do not have grit in their system. We do not feed chicks anything other than chick starter. We moved some into our outdoor brooders and they started eating a lot of June bugs and other bugs that were attracted to the heat lamps and began to get sickly. We treated with Tortrazuril and they snapped right back, but the point is that once they go outside esp on the dirt they are subject to catching cocci and a bit later worms as well.
IMG_0996.JPG
IMG_0990.JPG

Sadly Freddie did not make it through the night last night. I also lost 2 guineas. Needless to say, I will rethink going through the hatchery I just used. Its crazy how attached one can get in just a few days time! All the rest seem to be doing well at this point.
Oh no, I am so sorry. :hugs

Sadly Freddie did not make it through the night last night. I also lost 2 guineas. Needless to say, I will rethink going through the hatchery I just used. Its crazy how attached one can get in just a few days time! All the rest seem to be doing well at this point.
Hatcheries are a good thing to avoid but you can also lose chicks from reputable breeders too.

Back
Top Bottom