Sickly Rooster - Help please!

CountrySunshine

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 24, 2012
Texas
Pat, my rooster is around 5 years old. This past week, he started walking a bit bow-legged, and acting like he was constipated. Over the past few days, his feathers have become ruffled, his comb pale & fallen over, and he huddles against the fence. He is having trouble getting up to his perch at night. (He was flying up there...now he jumps on a lower perch, then up to the higher one).

The temperatures have gotten up into the high 90s, and I've been changing their water every morning & evening. I also run a soaker hose thru the yard. This rooster sits on it all day long. He is no longer calling his girls to bugs or protecting them. Instead, at bedtime, he wanders off into the yard, and I have to direct him to the coop.

Anyone have any ideas?

Do you have multiple water stations around in the shade? I use wide rubber bowls filled with water in various shady spots, so they can drink as well as step into the water to cool themselves. I would also recommend to use a product such a vitamin/electrolyte/probiotic in their water on extremely hot days. Otherwise I would only use it every other day. Has he been wormed lately? Bread soaked in a small amount of buttermilk is also an excellent probiotic. Is he on an all flock feed? Here is a picture of a product I have used:
300x300px-LS-cec05f52_10988.jpeg

Yes, there are multiple water stations. He doesn't stand in them, but some of my hens do when it's really hot. That's why I use a soaker hose... it keeps the chickens cool, and I don't have to worry about poop in the water.

I'll try the electrolytes and worming. I haven't done either lately. He eats the same feed as the hens: layer crumbles & scratch, with occasional kitchen scraps.

Do you think it's just heat related, rather than a disease?

There are many things it could be so you kind of just have to start ruling out the most common possibilities and go from there. If the birds are not on a regular deworming schedule that is where I'd start and use something effective like Valbazen or liquid Safeguard for goats. Worm them all and be sure to repeat the dose in 10 days. Also check them over carefully for mites/lice. Internal and external parasites can weaken a bird over time. I'd start there as well as the vitamins as Eggcessive suggested and see if he perks up.

Back
Top Bottom