Sickness moving through flock...

I'll tell you what we did when we had a bird get sick with a virus. We sent the body in for testing and waited to get results back. The family decided that if it was a contagious disease that we would cull all.
Thankfully, that didn't happen. But I suggest test and wait for results. Go from there.
We posted at same time I think lol that’s my game plan testing or necropsy which ever comes first

I'll tell you what we did when we had a bird get sick with a virus. We sent the body in for testing and waited to get results back. The family decided that if it was a contagious disease that we would cull all.
Thankfully, that didn't happen. But I suggest test and wait for results. Go from there.
Ok another penny for your thoughts. Do I continue quarantine. I feel as day to day nor sneeze who slept with the others prior night....everyone is exposed right? Or just continue. I ask because I’m out of quarantine space...unless I cage them and we’ve already had coons and skunks (skunks after food...coons after the chickens) no safe place to put them in cages. So in your opinion what would your next poa be in this situation?

Ok another penny for your thoughts. Do I continue quarantine. I feel as day to day nor sneeze who slept with the others prior night....everyone is exposed right? Or just continue. I ask because I’m out of quarantine space...unless I cage them and we’ve already had coons and skunks (skunks after food...coons after the chickens) no safe place to put them in cages. So in your opinion what would your next poa be in this situation?
I wouldn't bother with quarantine. What goes around comes around. They're all already exposed to it.

If it is infectious bronchitis virus, the most common and mildest respiratory disease, there is no use to quarantine any of them. It spreads through the whole flock eventually over weeks, and does not cause the eye bubbles or swollen eyelids that MG can cause. IB is a one time disease— once they have it and recover that is it. They remain carriers for 5 mo. up to 1 year. MG and some other chronic diseases can come back again whenever they are stressed during cold weather or molting. My flock had IB once about 6 years ago apparently from wild birds since I had not added birds. I waited over a year after all recovered, and did not see it again.

If it is infectious bronchitis virus, the most common and mildest respiratory disease, there is no use to quarantine any of them. It spreads through the whole flock eventually over weeks, and does not cause the eye bubbles or swollen eyelids that MG can cause. IB is a one time disease— once they have it and recover that is it. They remain carriers for 5 mo. up to 1 year. MG and some other chronic diseases can come back again whenever they are stressed during cold weather or molting. My flock had IB once about 6 years ago apparently from wild birds since I had not added birds. I waited over a year after all recovered, and did not see it again.
This gives me hope I guess. 2 more sneezing when I got home. I’ll leave the ones in quarantine for this evening and thoroughly disinfect tomorrow and release. I just am at a loss. But I pray what they have is as simple as that. No one is seeming to have any major breathing issues still and my roo (second to get sick) still no sounds of liquid in his lungs like Sunday morning. Just an occasional sneeze. Keeping apt Tuesday for exotic pet dr. (Farm vet does not see chickens...seriously...)and hope and pray it’s as simple as yours :)
I wouldn't bother with quarantine. What goes around comes around. They're all already exposed to it.
came to that conclusion when 2 more started sneezing. No use at this point.and I’m out of safe quarantine space.

Update: it’s been a week since I lost my girl. A week since my roo started sneezing. I’ve got all but 1 or 2 sneezing. I gave up quarantine the day I posted this as when I got home from work 2 more were sneezing and they exposed everyone anyways. I’m noticing less feed is being eaten however everyone is foraging and the crops I checked last night before putting to bed were full (winter the roo included). The roo is still sneezing. But no fluid sounds coming from his lungs. Today is a week on antibiotic (oxytetracycline). So we r just plucking right along (no pun intended :) )

Update: it’s been a week since I lost my girl. A week since my roo started sneezing. I’ve got all but 1 or 2 sneezing. I gave up quarantine the day I posted this as when I got home from work 2 more were sneezing and they exposed everyone anyways. I’m noticing less feed is being eaten however everyone is foraging and the crops I checked last night before putting to bed were full (winter the roo included). The roo is still sneezing. But no fluid sounds coming from his lungs. Today is a week on antibiotic (oxytetracycline). So we r just plucking right along (no pun intended :) )
Maybe they are allergic to the cold weather coming lol, but you can give them a bit of minced garlic, it's treat and if it boosts our immune system may help em a tiny bit, but every little bit helps right?

The amount of sneezers has gone down. Seems just my roo and a couple hens. I’m happy. Giving antibiotics in 1 watered and acv in the other 2. So they still get but now as much. My poor roo has some runny poo...really runny but he’s eating so I did some searching and gave them sauerkraut I know sounds weird but it’s a natural probiotic for them. The amount of sneezes has gone down as well. Got 4 eggs today so far so we are getting better I believe :) my average was 5 a day with maybe 6 occasionally. They are all new layers so hit and miss anyways :)

doesn't do much good to give Probiotics until they aren't getting Antbiotics, they could counteract each other or the antibiotic will kill off the good bacteria from the probiotics

Back
Top Bottom