Side of house Coop with pictures

Ylee

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 1, 2012
White Settlement, Texas
We decided we wanted chickens but had limited room for a coop. So I designed a coop that would fit along side of the house. This is the space I had to work with. I capped off and shortened the sprinkler so it wouldn't spray.

The space is 5"5" wide and 8' long and we made it 5'7" tall in the center so it would be hidden behind the fence and not be an eyesore (for the neighbors).

Well, this is what I ended up with.

There is a tin roof over 50" of the coop in the back while the front just has a chicken wire ceiling.

We installed 2 roosts at the back above the poop shelf. one is 12" above the shelf, the other is 18" and they are 10" apart. I have replaced the cedar shavings with PDZ in the poop shelf.

On the bottom right of the picture, you can see our feeding pipe. We used 3" pipe and it seems to have worked out pretty well. Can't put too much in it or it gets clogged, but it is nice to fill from the outside.

And I used the push nipple watering system.

And the nice thing is that as they grow, we can move the waterer up to the correct height since my chicks are only 5 weeks old.

So, what do you think?

now that's determined to find the space. you did a great job. i want to build a similar feeder. i'm going to get it done this week. looks really good.
those nipple waterers, does it have a constant source of water? i need a different system. i've never seriously considered the nipple waterers, but if i'm out of town, it might be a good idea.

The nipple feeders use a piece of water hose to hook up to the 5 gallon bucket. I just used an old piece that I had and cut it to the length I wanted. I am sure that if you wanted to you could have a larger water bucket and it would last longer, but I figure the 5 gallon bucket should last at least a couple of days. I don't know for sure yet, but I will soon! And I used a black bucket to cut down on algae growth since it gets so hot here in the summers. So far I really like the nipple watering system, and my girls seem to like it too!

So very nice, I plan to mimic what you have done. I printed out pictures and am going to take measurements now. Can you give me any more helpful hints on how you did this? I have an AC box on the side of my house too. If its not too late and you get this message any helpful advise will be appreciated on how you have made this chicken coop on the side of your house. Brilliant plan! Thank you for posting!

Well done! Very creative use of space.
clap.gif
I like the feeding tube. That is really neat!

I'm not quite sure what kind of helpful hints you are looking for but I will say that we dug around the edges and buried the chicken wire under the ground about 6-8 inches so that it would be harder for things to get in or out of the coop. Also for the chicken wire, we ran it on the outside of the top so we could pull it tighter and stapled it down.

If you have specific questions, I can answer those but for the most part it was pretty easy to create.

And on the feeder tube I just put about 8 cups in at a time or it will clog up and you have to bang on the pvc pipe. I will say it clogs less with laying pellets than with chick start.

Hope this helps.

....And on the feeder tube I just put about 8 cups in at a time or it will clog up and you have to bang on the pvc pipe. I will say it clogs less with laying pellets than with chick start.

Hope this helps.
Ok thanks. And thanks for your response too :)

Back
Top Bottom