Sidewalk grit?

werttyy

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 16, 2011
Chicago
As many probably know, there are a lot of small stones close to the sidewalk and road. Could I possibly use that as grit for my chickens? Or if not, what could i use as grit for them? The nearest feed store is really far. Thanks.

If your road is fairly well travelled I would be concerned about pollutants that could accumulate from rain run off.
Car tires lose a lot of carcinogens as they wear down as well as the fluids and vapors that come out of vehicles.
I have read that we shouldn't allow our dogs to drink from roadside puddles for the same reason.
Smashed up eggshells add grit as well as calcium. Even a few shovels of garden dirt, they'll pick through it for bits of sand and small stones.
Hope this helps.

I would think the sidewalk stones would be fine, but I agree with mamabigbird that the asphalt stones next to the road might have some toxins in them. In addition, road crews spray weed killer along the road, even country roads.

If your chickens free range they don't need grit supplied.

http://cherrystonegrit.com/grit_sizes.html
here are the sizes for selecting grit off the sidewalk:
#3 is for large fowl, #2 for 4- 7 weeks, #1 is chick grit (also sand can be used for chicks) up to 4 weeks.

This is the brand that my feed store sells, and the recommendations are printed on the bag.

play sand available from your local home improvement warehouse also works great! We made our girls a little "sand box" to play in and they used sand to fill in some puddles in the run. The like to dust bathe in it eat it etc... They also all roost around the edge of the sand box, they look like they are having some sort of hen meeting... too cute.

Back
Top Bottom