1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sideways or Upright ?!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Frizzle Farmer, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Frizzle Farmer

Frizzle Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Calhan, CO
    I will be putting about 30 eggs in lock down tonight (Cochins and Frizzle Mixes), and I want to try using egg cartons for the first time. I have the cartons cut down and ready, but I'm wondering, do I keep the eggs pointy side down, or turn them on their sides? Any advice would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Pointy side down.

[​IMG]

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yup, pointy side down.

They can hatch fine lying on their sides or upright, it doesn't really matter. But if they were on their sides AND in cartons they might have problems zipping all the way round their shells. I've hatched eggs lying flat on the floor of the bator and upright sitting in cartons, and I don't really notice any difference in the hatch rate. The whole point of lockdown and not turning the eggs for three days is to allow the chick time to manoeuvre itself into the hatching position, so as long as you don't move the egg, upright or lying on its side are both fine.

I now prefer carton hatches cause it keeps all the eggs sitting still and newly hatched chicks can't play football with the unhatched eggs.

Good luck with your hatch!

5. Frizzle Farmer

Frizzle Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Calhan, CO
    Thanks you guys! I'm so excited to try this method!

6. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm gonna try it with my BW quail hatch next week - was concerned about the number of eggs all willy-nilly in there with chicks kicking them around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by