Siding material, ventilation, and other coop questions.

Pics
????
Once you get the coop, maybe start a new thread.

The chickens can get into a 10" high space,
it's more about you getting under there if needed.
I'd say at least 18" high.
That thread that we haven't used in months titled "PLEASE HELP I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO" that was basically people helping me figure out how to deal with my chickens.
I will probably start a new thread.

I was worried more about them ignoring the 10'' high space because it would be a bit of a squeeze, essentially confining themselves to the walk in portion of the run.

That thread that we haven't used in months titled "PLEASE HELP I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO" that was basically people helping me figure out how to deal with my chickens.
Let that one rest in peace.

I will probably start a new thread.
Yes, once the coop is actually in your yard....and you can post pics of it.
Will you start building the run right away?
Chicks in the spring?
Are the rental chickens gone yet?

I was worried more about them ignoring the 10'' high space because it would be a bit of a squeeze, essentially confining themselves to the walk in portion of the run.
Well, it wouldn't be 'walking around' room, but they might squeeze under there to dust bath or lay eggs or.....<shurgs>
18" high would be walking around room and big enough for you to crawl under if needed.

Let that one rest in peace.

Yes, once the coop is actually in your yard....and you can post pics of it.
Will you start building the run right away?
Chicks in the spring?
Are the rental chickens gone yet?

Well, it wouldn't be 'walking around' room, but they might squeeze under there to dust bath or lay eggs or.....<shrugs>
18" high would be walking around room and big enough for you to crawl under if needed.
Sounds good.
Don't worry, I don't have a thread yet-I'm going to wait.
Run should be getting built this weekend.
Undetermined, but hopefully.
Rental chickens are staying with us. We've re planned. I've made lots of progress with them! I can pick three of them up now. Only one will sit quietly in my hands, but none of them are panicking. Skittish leghorn is eating out of my hand.

I need the walking around room for them because I wouldn't want to confine them to only 36 square feet of walking around room.

Wow, just came across this thread - so much planning! Now I can’t wait to see you actually build the coop! 😆

I’m the total opposite, just dove into it with no building experience because I got chickens on a whim. So... I’m reading the info here and going, yep, definitely didn’t do that right!
Hopefully my coop won’t fall apart any time soon... :oops:

Last edited:
Wow, just came across this thread - so much planning! Now I can’t wait to see you actually build the coop! 😆

I’m the total opposite, just dove into it with no building experience because I got chickens on a whim. So... I’m reading the info here and going, yep, definitely didn’t do that right!
Hopefully my coop won’t fall apart any time soon... :oops:
Of course, after all this planning, I'm not even building a coop :oops: We ordered one from a guy that makes them. It's coming on wednesday!! We also get to paint it :DWe are, however, building a run! Today and tomorrow are going to be full building days.

Of course, after all this planning, I'm not even building a coop :oops: We ordered one from a guy that makes them. It's coming on wednesday!! We also get to paint it :DWe are, however, building a run! Today and tomorrow are going to be full building days.

Sometimes learning everything that goes into doing construction right the correct choice is to allow someone who knows what he's doing to do the work. :)

My DH and his buddies *could* have done DSIL's new deck, but paying the pros will get her a deck this fall not next summer.

Ugh, I would have done that if I could afford it. I bought the run though ($300), the only $300 coop I would have been able to get were the really tiny ones, and I needed more space. But taking pallets apart were honestly no fun...

Back
Top Bottom