Siding the coop: anything cheaper than plywood?

I wouldn't use OSB outside ever again! I need to replace the door to my barn loft because I bought 3/4 in. OSB, instead of plywood. It sits 9 ft off the ground, so it is only the weather. It is rotting out--I can tell because my metal "catch" that keeps it open to put up hay AND so the barn swallows can nest every year up high, won't catch anymore since the corner of the door is rotted out.
barnie.gif

BTW, I checked into the following online--I was intrigued:
Wagner power painter
Shopping results for Wagner power painter
0280022 Regular Price: $103.95 SPECIAL: $36.99
http://www.gleempaint.com/wagner-210-power-painter.html

Wagner Power Painter, Model 305
Item# 03015601000 Model# 0272045
Description: The 5.4 GPH Wide Shot Power Painter features the wide shot tip to spray many latex paints un-thinned in a pattern up to 12 inches wide for large surfaces. $84.99
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03015601000P?vName=Tools&cName=Paint&Accessories&sName=Power%20Painting&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a
#3Wagner Power Painter Wide Shot Max - 05180
Item# 03015546000 Model# 0518003
Description: 7.2 GPH Airless Power Painter with new Lock N Go cartridge for easy cleaning and color changes. Clean or dispose of the paint cartridge after use. Great for small to large projects including the whole house. Applies thin to thick material.
The Wagner Wide Shot Max has a tungsten carbide piston and cylinder to provide long life when spraying today's thick latex paints. It features Lock-N-Go technology for quick material changes and simplified clean-up. It comes complete with the Wide Shot cartridge for spray patterns up to 12 in. wide. Great for large projects. Draw paint from the 1-1/2 qt. cup, paint can, or from the backpack for maximum mobility. $139.99
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...ainting&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

lowes and depot carry Smart Siding it's about $18 a sheet 4x8 it is pressure treated osb T1-11 it comes preprimed and is garenteed for 30 years. I even used it for the roof of the coop. It's been there for several years, never painted and shows no wear.

Check your local salvage yards, construction sites, and recycling centers. We were fortunate that we have a small, family owned sawmill nearby that sells "rough cut" lumber for a song. It ain't pretty, but it's very rustic looking. Tough, too. We sided a large shed for next to nothing.

BTW, I checked into the following online--I was intrigued:
Wagner power painter

We got ours on Black Friday (after Thanksgiving) and paid $30. It is super easy to use and clean. We love it.

I had hubby us Marine Sealer, then paint on top of that. If it only lasts a couple of years, that gives me time to save up for better.

Cheri​

I just had to buy 6 sheets of siding. I was going to use T-111 or whatever it's called, but it was $25 per sheet. I found some cheaper stuff (without the fake ridges in it like T-111) for $19 a sheet. So I got those instead. I'll be painting it, too...so hopefully, it will not matter too much.

I used some old tin. We got new tin for the top and used some donated used tin on the 3 sides. We ran the tin 1 foot underground and cemented from up to ground to keep out predators. The front side, we put on a wire front. I'll post pictures later. But using the donated used tin was great and after we painted it...looks great! Can't beat free!

Do you have a local saw mill near you? roughsawn lumber is much cheaper. You could shiplap the coop. or board and batten it. Or do the horizontal rough cut boards which overlay the top of the board below by and inch or two.
3riverschick in western PA

My Dh managed to find a guy selling roughsawn cedar boards made from old telephone poles. Very inexpensive, but pretty sliver-y. He is putting it up on the coop's sides board and batten style, to match the other out-buildings around our farm. It's starting to look really nice.

I believe he came across it on C-List.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom