Sierra Chicken Palace

adamthomas

Chirping
May 10, 2020
Northern California
My Coop
My Coop
I've been working off an on an hour or two at a time on building a coop I designed for my new chicks and thought I would share some pictures. I drew a number of design influences and features from existing designs but mostly from Carolina Coops American Coop and the Palace Chicken Coop. It's not finished yet but I will add more pics as I get closer.

The coop's is based on a 6x12 footprint with what's known as a lean-to, shed or skillion roof design. It has a raised 4-6 coop and as a result the run is 6x12 with a ceiling height in the open area that goes from 8' to 7' front to rear. The framing and windows are assembled with a combination of zinc plated and blue coated pocket screws with the use of construction screws for attachment of the panels. It is on a non-permanent base to hopefully avoid the ire of the local building inspectors. I lined the trench with 3/4"granite and 1" drilled PVC piping for drainage as this area gets quite a bit of run off during winter rains.

The coop has screened windows on 4 sides that will be covered with acrylic glass and can be hinged open or closed depending on the weather. When closed entirely 18 - 3 inch portholes near the top of the coop will provide plenty of ventilation for the girls. Another feature of the coop is draft panels on all the window and door gaps that prevent direct drafts from reaching the girls inside the coop. The inside will be painted with a $9 gallon of Valspar Ultra White interior paint with a hint of blue from the mis-tint cart, and the outside stained with Valspar Semi Transparent external stain in Doug Fir color for a natural look that will help cover some imperfections on the stud grade lumber from big box stores.

I also plan to bury 3 ft wide 1/2 hardware cloth around the perimeter since I have a Red Fox and her pups living in a large series of blackberry bushed less than 50 ft away. I included a picture of her and one of her pups for your viewing pleasure, as well as a visitor to the building site that felt he had had to stake his claim for some reason.

If I were to modify the design at all it would be to drop the roof height 1 foot but thought about that too late to make the change. That said, I think the proportions are very appealing. Let me know what you think.
IMG_6356.jpeg

IMG_6358.jpeg

IMG_6373.jpeg
IMG_6372.jpeg
IMG_6378.jpeg
IMG_6416.jpeg
IMG_6465.jpeg
IMG_6558.jpeg
IMG_6845.jpeg
DSC_6166.jpg

Last edited:
Love that picture of the visitor to your building site! :lol:

Yeah, I could hardly believe it when I came around the corner. He had some younger males with him. They are regulars but this was quite a site. I guess he was enjoying the cool overturned dirt from my diggings the day before.

Last edited:
Nice job!!

Any plans for diverting rain water coming down the hill so it goes around the coop/run instead of into it?

Is that a white tail?
Odd to see a buck lounging out in the open during the day like that!!
Those fox are beautiful, but not near chickens!!

Welcome to BYC! @adamthomas
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1596497689834.png

Last edited:
Nice job!!

Any plans for diverting rain water coming down the hill so it goes around the coop/run instead of into it?

Is that a white tail?

Welcome to BYC! @adamthomas
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2275377
I know! I wish people would list their location on their account.
It does help a lot.

Last edited:

Is that a white tail?

I'll be installing a drainage box at the top of the hill where most of the water comes off the driveway but some will still make it and I wanted to ensure it had a way out.

That is a mule deer. No white tails in CA as far as I know. They hang out in my yard regularly. Here's another picture of some others taken a few days ago from my front yard.

The foxes are going to be a problem but this coop is built to handle it and I plan to get some electric fencing to allow them to free range at some point.

I know! I wish people would list their location on their account.
It does help a lot.

Done. I had not been to that settings page yet but the title of this thread was a clue. ;) "Sierra" as in Sierra Nevada Mountains in California.

DSC_6633.jpeg

I'll be installing a drainage box at the top of the hill where most of the water comes off the driveway but some will still make it and I wanted to ensure it had a way out.

That is a mule deer. No white tails in CA as far as I know. They hang out in my yard regularly. Here's another picture of some others taken a few days ago from my front yard.

The foxes are going to be a problem but this coop is built to handle it and I plan to get some electric fencing to allow them to free range at some point.

Done. I had not been to that settings page yet but the title of this thread was a clue. ;) "Sierra" as in Sierra Nevada Mountains in California.

View attachment 2276806GORGEOUS!!!!!

Just a quick update here to say that the coop is 90% complete and has some very happy tenants! Left to complete are trimming up the roof panels and building the nesting box which will be mounted on the front side of the coop, and replacement of a temporary roosting bar.

774DB1B2-60E9-48E3-9ED0-F3FB738B7144_1_105_c.jpeg

I designed and built this coop to protect against the typical and most obvious predators in the area, or so I thought... Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately as I was finishing up on the no-dig barrier (hw cloth and rock) a black bear past me (30 ft) at full gallop from one end of the property to the other and away. This was a pretty cool experience except for the fact that it meant I wasn't done and would have to spend another week and ~$400 more building an electric fence to keep the bears out.

1279E74D-2C2E-4A73-AE28-91CE96C23898_1_105_c.jpeg

I also learned from a neighbor on the other side of the canyon with chickens that she has a couple mountain lions, bears, coyotes and bobcats that frequent her property. 😟 She houses her girls in a chain link enclosure with an electric wire perimeter. Hopefully my 7 wire 2.1 joule fencing will be a deterrent for at least the bear and coyotes. If a mountain lion wants in I'm not sure there's much I can do except add/replace the HW cloth with chainlink which I don't want to do.

I'll post more pics later this week and share some more of the details on the build.

BokBokBok!

Back
Top Bottom