Sigh. Might have to think about just BUYING eggs!

Quote:
GREAT idea!!
thumbsup.gif

Put a long leash on the dog, let it have a go at the chickens, then, immediately, do a serious beatdown on the dog. It's worked for three of my dogs.

Wow, what an archaic method of dog training... Sure, and killing them would would work even better - it's foolproof!
barnie.gif

How about instead of a "beatdown" on your poor dog's natural instincts, you just take responsibility for your OWN animals and not expect the dogs to understand your rules by beating them. My god I am so glad I am not your dog...​

In the begining we didn't have a covered run. We lost 4 to hawk(s). Then we didn't have a locked coop, just hook and eye latches. A raccoon got in and got 10. We only had 3 birds that survived our original order.

It's frustrated. It's sad to loose those birds, but I do think it's a learning experience and we get better at it as we go.

Quote:
Yeah, no biggie, it's only 100 dead birds or so..........

Sheesh, any questions/comments, please PM me, I'll help you get a good chicken keeping plan going.

Ok, so I already got rid of the hound. I got an electric fence (wireless) for the puppy, and I will gradually try to train him. I set up the perimeter on the extreme other side of the property. I put a self closer on the coop door, and got a raccoon proof latch for nights.

Anyone have any other suggestions? We are planning on free ranging.

It sounds like you're taking good steps. The fence will work for the puppy, but it won't keep your chickens from wandering into the puppy's territory. Keep working on training the puppy. I trust my black lab (hunter/retriever) 100% with my birds. He's never been a problem. You live and learn. Free ranging is great Yes, there is a chance that you could experience some losses - but, maybe you won't. Last year coyotes wiped out 13 of my 16 birds. This year - no problems, and several of them are unsecured in the barn. It's a chance you take. You're doing great! Don't get discouraged by some of the harshness on the board. There are many helpful, encouraging people here who are more than willing to help.

I'm glad the few harsh words, didn't scare you away. We have all made mistakes. By being open about your mistakes, perhaps, someone else is now extra vigilant.
Do your chickens have a run at all? Or is it coop/free range only? My chickens have a run even though I let them free range most of the time. (Once and awhile I don't let them range until the afternoon to re-train the hens that want to hide eggs elsewhere).
If you do have or decide that you want to have a run, you will need to secure that, also. There are many threads about securing the run that you can check out.
Good luck,
Dale-Ann

Quote:
Wow, what an archaic method of dog training... Sure, and killing them would would work even better - it's foolproof!
barnie.gif

How about instead of a "beatdown" on your poor dog's natural instincts, you just take responsibility for your OWN animals and not expect the dogs to understand your rules by beating them. My god I am so glad I am not your dog...

It worked the first time. Never had to do it again. I did the same to a neighbor's dog, which comes to visit. It's outside, right now, with my other dog.

Spending months, jumping up, looking out the window, or tying the dog to a stake, or never letting it outside, TO DO WHAT DOGS DO, NATURALLY, is far more cruel to the dog and stressful and annoying to you, than a thirty second training session, which permanently changed the direction of the dog's mind.

The reason dogs are used as tools for police, rescue and herding, is because they can be trained to go against their natural instincts.

It's cruel to make a dog walk around an airport, all day, on a leash, stiffing for explosives or drugs...It would much rather be running around, peeing on peoples' luggage, or ripping it apart, looking for that hidden ham sandwich.

In the animal world, apart from humans, how many times do you think it takes Mama Wolf, to convince the others. that her litter belongs to her?

Last edited:
I lost the first 10 that I had after 1 1/2 years of healthy living. Two per day, then after 5 days I had no more.
sad.png

Now this was 5 years ago, the week after Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, and my neighbors and myself were the ones eating them. Chicken never tasted so good, and I left the city without worrying about "my girls."
smile.png

I don't mind harsh words. I killed 60 chickens in 2 months. I obviously need an intervention.
wink.png

I am planning on totally free ranging them, but a run is not completely out of the question. I have considered it, especially after my last 2 disasters.

Back
Top Bottom