Sight Sexing Barred Plymouth Rock Chicks at Hatch

Pics
Any guesses on these? Especially the one with a bum leg?

Does anyone know if this spot/coloring test is reliable for mixed breeds in the case of the Barred Rock being the father and another breed the mom?

I have a rooster that came from a New Hampshire rooster over a barred hen. I have purchased Barred Rock hens to breed with my rooster. Do you have an idea of what chicks from this match might look like? I didn't know if they would be considered sex link.

Here is a picture of our rooster while he was about 6 months old. He is now about 10 months old and much bigger.

Here he is at about 10 months. You can see the brown spots in his feathering. Would the brown spots be caused by the New Hampshire?

I have a rooster that came from a New Hampshire rooster over a barred hen. I have purchased Barred Rock hens to breed with my rooster. Do you have an idea of what chicks from this match might look like? I didn't know if they would be considered sex link.

Here is a picture of our rooster while he was about 6 months old. He is now about 10 months old and much bigger.

Here he is at about 10 months. You can see the brown spots in his feathering. Would the brown spots be caused by the New Hampshire?

From my understanding, no they won't be sex link. Both Hen and Roo are barred, even if different breeds. For sex-link it has to be a solid colored chicken over a Barred Rock Hen.
The babies of your Roo over a BR Hen will probably just look like a BR. Looking at your man, there's very little difference between the two breeds. :) Your Roo has a black beak and it looks like a couple green tail feathers.. a BR Roo would have a yellow beak with no green.

ETA- I mis-read your post. Your Roo is a MIX between BR and the NH. And you want to take the mix-breed and mix it with a BR hen? My guess remains the same, off-spring would most likely look BR since you'd just be reinforcing the BR gene by adding to it, but you could end up with some interesting random off-ones that are a different color. I did, and that was with a pure BR roo with a mixture of different moms. I hatched 2 Buff Op eggs, for example (from a BR roo) and one came out yellow with a black back and one came out looking like a typical BR but had a much larger gray spot on the head then any of my other BR mixes.

Last edited:
From my understanding, no they won't be sex link. Both Hen and Roo are barred, even if different breeds. For sex-link it has to be a solid colored chicken over a Barred Rock Hen.
The babies of your Roo over a BR Hen will probably just look like a BR. Looking at your man, there's very little difference between the two breeds. :) Your Roo has a black beak and it looks like a couple green tail feathers.. a BR Roo would have a yellow beak with no green.
I wondered about the beak being black and first thought maybe that was from the New Hampshire rooster side but no they have a yellow beak. I then looked up pictures of Barred Rock roosters and hens and yep a lot of them in the pictures do show some black on their beaks. I figure the black with the green sheen is from the New Hampshire. I saw an article about the differences between Barred Rock and Plymouth Rock chickens that said the Barred Rock actually came from the Plymouth Rock by breeding a different breed to a Plymouth Rock. Is this true? I will try to find the article when I get a moment to surf the net.

I wondered about the beak being black and first thought maybe that was from the New Hampshire rooster side but no they have a yellow beak. I then looked up pictures of Barred Rock roosters and hens and yep a lot of them in the pictures do show some black on their beaks. I figure the black with the green sheen is from the New Hampshire. I saw an article about the differences between Barred Rock and Plymouth Rock chickens that said the Barred Rock actually came from the Plymouth Rock by breeding a different breed to a Plymouth Rock. Is this true? I will try to find the article when I get a moment to surf the net.

Idk about their orgins. But the hens do tend to have darker beaks, but the Roos tend to have yellow. Here is my roo:

Hen:

Back
Top Bottom