Sight Sexing Barred Plymouth Rock Chicks at Hatch

So, would these all be males? I am not sure on the age of them, we have had them for two weeks and the man before said they were 11 weeks.

Last edited:
Neat post!!!

So this one's male, right?

And female?

At least I'm hoping Violet's a girl!
tongue.png

Hardware store, actually! :lol:

So, given that, I have no idea how pure they are. I'll just have to wait and see, I guess!

GREAT information!! So am I to assume that sexing them via primary feather growth cannot be done as in other breeds? All my BOs have two different length wing feathers. I feel confident that at least 3 out of those 4 are female. My Barred Rock on the other hand...it's not so easy to see two different lengths. It has dark legs no doubt, and the head spot could go either way. I'm really praying for a hen!! I'm interested to know if sexing by wing feather is null and void for the Barred Rock.
Thank you!

Here is the chick in question. If you HAD to sex this chick from this tender age...what gender would you give it??

Girl! :) The dark legs are so dark that I would not peg it as a male at all. Sometimes you see some darkness to the legs on the males. I have 3 lists for each hatch: Dark legs, light legs and medium. My dark legs always end up being girls, light always boys. The medium is a toss up for either gender. I won't know until they get all of their wing feathers.

Hardware store, actually!
lol.png

So, given that, I have no idea how pure they are. I'll just have to wait and see, I guess!
Given that, they are a pair, just like we guessed :)

Hatchery and feed stores usually sell production based Barred Rocks. As long as you bought them as barred rocks, the sexing tips apply. The thing is, black sex link males are barred too, and this does not work on them.

Back
Top Bottom