Sign Language, Anyone?

GracefulBantams

Hatching and Showing
13 Years
Oct 10, 2007
Oklahoma
I have just recently started to learn ASL (American Sign Language). Well, I actually began around November of '07, but I have not spent much time on it, and I have obviously not at all mastered it! I was wondering if anyone else had advice for me in this 'hobby'.
smile.png

Here is my very futile attempt at a performance *yeah, I'm still learning*. Any comments - good or bad?
smile.png

Last edited:
I took ASL in college. Really the best way to learn it is to use it. Do you know anyone who uses it that will practice with you? Maybe there is a school for the deaf in you area or a special needs school that has deaf students you could vollunteer with. Good luck!

Thanks
smile.png

I do not personally know any deaf people, but I do know of some - in this area.
I am trying to talk my best friend (the one singing in the video) into learning it with me, so we can practice with each other
smile.png

I used to teach it to adults in the night classes at the high school as a service, but its been years and this is a use it or lose it. I can sign, but my comprehension is way, way down now. Plus the carpal tunnel hasn't helped any.

Cynthia, that's really cool that you used to teach signing
smile.png
I don't have carpal tunnel, but I do have trouble with my right wrist sometimes, because it didn't heal completely after a accident a few years ago
hmm.png

Willowtreecreek, thanks
big_smile.png

So....... what comments do you all have from the video? I know that I didn't do the best job (*cough* understatement *cough*), but what do I specifically need to change?
big_smile.png

I don't know how to sign, but my mom does. She used to teach special education. I think it would be fun to learn, but I have rheumatoid arthritis and my fingers don't work very well at times. I think it's great what you are doing!

Well Graceful, you finally met a deaf person here! That is about as personal as you can get!
lol.png

ASL I have not completely understood it since I am from the "old school" using English Sign Language or ESL as some deaf people call it. I can only understand and read and write and speak proper English language but not in an ASL way. Sometimes I get lost when I see an interpreter signing ASL and with some assistance I usually lip read the interpreter to understand what she is signing. It helps both ways and I am still learning. I hate those tight lipped or "unspoken" lips (lips are not moving at all) and usually over express the face expression or do it like a "wide mouth frog" talking...jeez, just talk normally, not to over exert your face muscles
lol.png

I've had alot of good interpreters thru my schooling years, in mainstreamed school..not in a deaf school and I lip read pretty well and some folks would not imagine me deaf because I spoke well and have a sight accent. Thanks to years of speech therapy I had while I was growing up and my parents were not deaf nor any member of my extending families ever spoke or signed ASL. I hated therapies but it was worthwhile with good teachers I had that just sometimes would bully into me in my lessons to speak well and can do it. Not all deaf folks can have this ability or have such supportive parents like mine to get all the help I can get.

I must say Graceful, just keep up the good work and learn as you go along. Throw yourself in the crowd of deaf folks and pick a group you feel comfortable. Some will not be as receptive toward a "hearing" person as well as a deaf person and you might feel rejected if they ignore you...dont take that to heart. They just dont know how to handle or how to communicate with you. Most of them are very good!

We have been teaching our son, well ourselves at the same time. fortunatly Zach has full hearing capabilities, but when he was about 10months old we started him on it, to help him communicate before he developed his speech (aside from mama and dada) It really helps with the terrible 2's too! Now at the age of 2 and half he has quiet the vocab, and still loves to use it.

Good luck to ya! It really is a fun language to learn.

PS this is a sight I have found very useful...http://www.aslpro.com/ Is has videos to show how each sign is done!

Back
Top Bottom