Sign Language, Anyone?

Grace...I'm deaf from an illiness years ago.....Tried to learn sign but failed..lol..was the only deaf person in the class and I being the one that needed the attention I did not get so I quit!!...I lip read.....

I dont mind whether or not the interpreter sings silently or loudly when she signs.....the anthem is the greatest song we can sing to. Its the choice of the interpreter if she choses to do so. Some of us dont have good singing pitches or we all would be cat-wailing:lol:

I love a good opera but had no interpreters in that department....good thing they got subtitles above the stage! If you know the opera, then subtitles are not necessary!

Alot of deaf people think ASL is much easier to sign and not as word for word like the ESL. I do a little bit of both as my deaf friends say even I dont realized I do sign some ASL into my ESL.

Example of signing ASL for siging each word: WE GO STORE or some would sign STORE and WE(wagging two fingers to you and your partner as if you were saying both of us).

Example of signing ESL: WE GO TO THE STORE (this is clear as bell for me LOL)

See the difference??? ASL is very complex and comprensive language for me to understand but lip reading the interpreter makes it all worthwhile.

That's terrific, and I agree that it's a use it, or lose it, situation. You won't forget everything, but conversational skills will suffer.

Have fun with it; keep learning as much as you can; find people who will let you practice with them, and hopefully one day you will be able to help someone because you learned it.
smile.png

Great job Grace! I tool ASL in college, and practiced a bit with my hearing friend whos sister is deaf (also practiced with her a bit). Sadly I have forgotten most of what I learned. Keep up with it!

I think I need to take a semester of language because I only took two years in highschool, and I want to do sign language. My parents want me to take spanish, and since I live in CA and all I understand how it'd be helpful but you know what? I've taken spanish since 1st grade and I can't say crud. I'm terrible at languages. I'm hoping I'll be ok with sign language.
tongue.png

I worked with deaf children at our school; this was strictly volunteer, Mother in the classroom type stuff. But I was able to pick up quite a bit of signing that was used consistently in the classroom.
The problem with teaching little children to sign, is that they 'baby sign'..... just as they 'baby talk'.
smile.png
So though you may teach them to sign, it doesn't always mean you'll understand them!

Carla

I just wanted to mention www.Lifeprint.com again. They have online courses and tips on how to "speak" properly and more information than I can mention and its all free. Any one interested in learning should definately check it out.

Quote:
the preschool in our local school uses some basic words as part of their songs. the kids learn asl without even knowing.

our daughter is also autistic and at four is finally learning to pronounce some words but she has already learned a few signs faster then speech.
now if this 40+ old guy can learn some basic ASL and use it things may be easier in the long run.

Well, goodness! It has certainly taken me long enough to reply on here!
roll.png

Tuffoldhen, if I was deaf, and I could lipread, I would! I'm sure it is a blessing that lipreading comes so naturally to you
smile.png

EweSheep, thanks for all the examples aand tips
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thanks
smile.png
That's my goal!

Coffeegirl78, thanks
big_smile.png

CarlaRiggs, that is interesting about "baby signing". That is wonderfull that you were helping them, though
big_smile.png

ams3651, thanks for the link to the awesome website
big_smile.png

DaveMN, if I can learn ASL, any "40 year old guy" can
wink.png
I have always been terrible with any 'foreign languages'!

Back
Top Bottom