Sign of egg problems?

newbyduckmom

Songster
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Snohomish County, WA
One of my hens has 'laid' a 1 inch perfectly round egg for last 4 days. I know it is not uncommon for them to lay one of these eggs, but to have her do it for 4 days straight (with no normal egg laid) has be concerned. Anything I should be looking for?

She's a little over a year old. Been laying eggs since last August. She's been my best layer. Very consistent. Good, large eggs. No problems prior to this.

Last edited:
No, I have not. Any feed changes? One of my theories is that egg laying systems start to sputter after a while and need a rest. I wonder if she is using her energies for something else.

Any sign of molting or broodiness?

And what breed is she?

She's a magpie. I had change their feed to a cheaper feed about 2 months ago, but they have been back on flockraiser for at least three weeks now. She does not appear broody and seems to be acting fine. But it's odd. 2 days of the small 1 inch egg and 3 more of nothing. Hoping to get out and let her run around of of the run this evening for a while to see if she appears normally active. Hard to tell in the pen and I haven't been home to let them out enough lately.

Thanks, Amiga. I did let her out for a while this evening. She's very active foraging and swimming in the pond. Will keep an eye on her for now, but won't panic. Haven't been through a molt with my ducks yet, so may very well be. Still in the newbie category. Maybe in my second year of duckdom, I won't worry at every little anomaly! LOL

Good news, everybody laid and egg this morning.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom