Sign of egg problems?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, May 21, 2012.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Songster

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    One of my hens has 'laid' a 1 inch perfectly round egg for last 4 days. I know it is not uncommon for them to lay one of these eggs, but to have her do it for 4 days straight (with no normal egg laid) has be concerned. Anything I should be looking for?

2. binza1979

binza1979 Songster

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    Has she laid normal eggs in the past? How old is she?

3. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Songster

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    She's a little over a year old. Been laying eggs since last August. She's been my best layer. Very consistent. Good, large eggs. No problems prior to this.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  4. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Songster

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Anybody had something like this happen?

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    No, I have not. Any feed changes? One of my theories is that egg laying systems start to sputter after a while and need a rest. I wonder if she is using her energies for something else.

Any sign of molting or broodiness?

And what breed is she?

6. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Songster

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    She's a magpie. I had change their feed to a cheaper feed about 2 months ago, but they have been back on flockraiser for at least three weeks now. She does not appear broody and seems to be acting fine. But it's odd. 2 days of the small 1 inch egg and 3 more of nothing. Hoping to get out and let her run around of of the run this evening for a while to see if she appears normally active. Hard to tell in the pen and I haven't been home to let them out enough lately.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I just feel like something changed, and perhaps that, in combination with an impending molt, is making her system sputter.

8. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Songster

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Thanks, Amiga. I did let her out for a while this evening. She's very active foraging and swimming in the pond. Will keep an eye on her for now, but won't panic. Haven't been through a molt with my ducks yet, so may very well be. Still in the newbie category. Maybe in my second year of duckdom, I won't worry at every little anomaly! LOL

9. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Songster

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Good news, everybody laid and egg this morning.[​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: