Sign of laying...but not laying

FlutterbyChicks

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 21, 2015
So I have two red sex links that are 23.5 weeks old. One has been laying for 5 weeks. The other, not at all. I also have 21.5 week old BO, RIR, GLW, Barnevelder, and Australorp. The Australorp, RIR, and the other sex link have had red combs and wattles for a month. Over a week ago, the RIR and sex link started squatting when I go to pet them. And nothing. No eggs. The days are getting shorter and colder here... but if they're showing signs, shouldn't they be laying by now? I know they do it when they're ready, and I know it's early, but I got so excited when they started showing signs of laying. My husband is even dreaming about more chickens laying.

So I have two red sex links that are 23.5 weeks old. One has been laying for 5 weeks. The other, not at all. I also have 21.5 week old BO, RIR, GLW, Barnevelder, and Australorp. The Australorp, RIR, and the other sex link have had red combs and wattles for a month. Over a week ago, the RIR and sex link started squatting when I go to pet them. And nothing. No eggs. The days are getting shorter and colder here... but if they're showing signs, shouldn't they be laying by now? I know they do it when they're ready, and I know it's early, but I got so excited when they started showing signs of laying. My husband is even dreaming about more chickens laying.

Those signs can be seen weeks before the first egg - just continue to be patient as you are still at the early end of the expected onset of production.

Well apparently one of my girls started getting nervous about me posting this.... there were two eggs in the nest box this morning! Not sure who it was, but I'm thinking the RIR. She was pretty vocal while I was out there today.

Haha, well, apparently another one started to get nervous. I got the new egg yesterday morning at 9:30, who I figured out was my second Sex Link. Then, after two hours of "nesting" and trying out the nest boxes, we got a tiny little 1.2oz egg from our RIR. It was also our 10 year anniversary yesterday, so we think they were waiting to give us a wonderful new present.
Here are the two eggs laid yesterday, along with the egg I collected this morning from our first layer. Yay!!! See, all they needed was some subtle hints. My husband said this morning I should hang this up, to give the other ones some hints.

Well apparently one of my girls started getting nervous about me posting this.... there were two eggs in the nest box this morning! Not sure who it was, but I'm thinking the RIR. She was pretty vocal while I was out there today.
I think starting a new thread on 'why isn't my pullet laying yet;' is what gets them going...lol....have seen it numerous times.

Well then can I post one? I have nine RIR hatched 4/15, three barred hatched in March, and three ee/buff crosses about the same age only one of which is laying. I need that freeloader sign, or something to help

Well then can I post one? I have nine RIR hatched 4/15, three barred hatched in March, and three ee/buff crosses about the same age only one of which is laying. I need that freeloader sign, or something to help
I think you have to start your own new thread for it to actually work...lol!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom