Significant production drop

slippednfell

Songster
Apr 20, 2019
AR - OZARK Mountains
We have a mix of year old chickens (and two roosters). We have been getting an average of a dozen eggs per day, until the past few weeks. Now we average about half of that but yesterday we only got three.

I am located in North Central AR and our temps have been in the 90's with lows in the high 60's to low 70's for the past several weeks.

Is this normal behavior due to the heat or is it odd and should have nothing to do with the heat?

Note: We are just starting to see some diarrhea.

I've attached our temps from June and so far in July for reference.
July weather.jpg June weather.jpg

Hi there. Since you've mentioned diarrhea they may not be getting enough nutrition from whatever is causing that. It could also be the heat though. I get fewer eggs when it's really hot.

Have you changed their feed or started giving more treats? Is there anything growing that they could eat that has made them sick? Have you checked for worms?

PS you can give them probiotics to help with the diarrhea but if several birds have the issue it could be viral or I would look at the feed or something they got in to.

@igorsMistress

Thank you for your response. Great questions! It just started so I haven't checked for worms. I did put some apple cider vinegar with the mother in their water. I don't think it is a food change, but maybe too many treats lately. I tend to treat more in hot weather with cooler favorites like watermelon. I will add some probiotics to their water tomorrow and see if maybe that helps.

@igorsMistress

Thank you for your response. Great questions! It just started so I haven't checked for worms. I did put some apple cider vinegar with the mother in their water. I don't think it is a food change, but maybe too many treats lately. I tend to treat more in hot weather with cooler favorites like watermelon. I will add some probiotics to their water tomorrow and see if maybe that helps.
I do the same and notice the same thing in summer. Things like watermelon and cukes have lots of water in them and that can cause the diarrhea. I also get fewer eggs when it's really hot here. I hope your girls feel better, this summer is just brutal!

I do the same and notice the same thing in summer. Things like watermelon and cukes have lots of water in them and that can cause the diarrhea. I also get fewer eggs when it's really hot here. I hope your girls feel better, this summer is just brutal!

Good to know! Thank you!
I guess I can't complain too much about the heat of the summer. Last summer we got more rain than sun, if I recall correctly.

I just suspect you have been as lazy as I have been with mowing. The chicken have most likey built nests in your tall grass. Follow your dogs to find em.

Thanks for the feedback. They are in a run and don't free range. We also never mow and don't have traditional grass. We have wild grasses, Forbes and segues. Our ducks on the other hand are laying outside their duck house and where ever they happen to be around the pond.

Things like watermelon and cukes have lots of water in them and that can cause the diarrhea.
Yes! Also they are probably drinking more water and it goes right thru them trying to cool their bodies down.

I would nix the vinegar.
...and instead of probiotics......
Try this:
This has worked very well to keep heat stress/stroke at bay:
I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

Yes! Also they are probably drinking more water and it goes right thru them trying to cool their bodies down.

I would nix the vinegar.
...and instead of probiotics......
Try this:
This has worked very well to keep heat stress/stroke at bay:
I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.

Make space in your freezer!

We have plain water in the coop, which they have access to all the time and the other water is outside in the run. I would like to get something small and put some ice chunks in it as I have seen your photos before and think it is a great idea. Sleds aren't available down here though lol... I will have to get an under the bed storage container. I freeze bottles of water to put in their water containers but I'm sure would work just fine in a "wading container".

Thanks for the suggestion of save a chick. I might still have some of that around here but if not, I will order some ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom