Significant web tear

jmc00jmc

Hatching
Jul 8, 2021
Hello everyone. New to duck raising here. We have a flock of Cayuga duckling. Five females and a drake. Approx 9 weeks old. Recently introduced to the outdoor pen and pond.

Yesterday one was acting hurt and wouldn’t come out of the water. My wife eventually coaxed it out and returned it to the pen. When I got home several hours later I brought it into the house to examine. It has suffered substantial damage to the web between two toes on the left foot. A complete tear from the outer edge to the foot. Will attempt to attach pictures.

I soaked the foot in saline, didn’t see any other damage, applied neosporin along the edges. It’s resting inside with two younger Muscovy ducklings that leave it alone and give it space.

I ordered vetremycin spray to apply. I don’t know if I can find someone local to stitch a repair job. Has anyone repaired a torn web with steri-strips or medical skin glue?

Attachments

• 93B9640D-3D03-4E6C-B6D1-4F194DEAEE25.jpeg
    93B9640D-3D03-4E6C-B6D1-4F194DEAEE25.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 0936A416-AE15-4566-BB52-A4D7D0999E8B.jpeg
    0936A416-AE15-4566-BB52-A4D7D0999E8B.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 07F9E44E-A67E-414D-8DC7-2604E913C5A7.jpeg
    07F9E44E-A67E-414D-8DC7-2604E913C5A7.jpeg
    541.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 711C19FF-1844-46F8-A4F9-F15BE16BA321.jpeg
    711C19FF-1844-46F8-A4F9-F15BE16BA321.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 13
It almost looks as if the web was removed leaving nothing to be repaired. I would continue treating as you have been. Is there any possibility that there is a snapping turtle in the pond?
Strong, almost definite possibility of a snapper being present. Saw a juvenile snapper early in the spring heading toward the pond. A friend is loaning me a turtle trap but I won’t have it until the weekend. I also noticed some jagged edge on the pen from hardware cloth that I will be addressing later today. It’s hard to tell if there is web left and curled up or if it’s missing. The duck has been cooperative so far, but I didn’t want to stress it too much last night by prodding any more than necessary.

I wouldn't let them back into the pond until your sure there are no snappers or you have removed any that are in there. They will eat your ducklings and even kill and eat adult ducks.
That’s the plan. The injured duck is still in our house recuperating. So far the injury appears to be healing. He won’t have much webbing there, but it appears to be clean and scabbing/scarring and not becoming infected. Twice daily betadine washes and triple antibiotic ointment. The remaining ducklings are extremely wary of the pond now, and I told my wife that’s good until we can clear out any snappers.
I will search these forums, but aside from using a turtle trap does anyone have any tips? Or tips using a trap?

That’s the plan. The injured duck is still in our house recuperating. So far the injury appears to be healing. He won’t have much webbing there, but it appears to be clean and scabbing/scarring and not becoming infected. Twice daily betadine washes and triple antibiotic ointment. The remaining ducklings are extremely wary of the pond now, and I told my wife that’s good until we can clear out any snappers.
I will search these forums, but aside from using a turtle trap does anyone have any tips? Or tips using a trap?
I'm glad he's on the mend. Snappers are nightmare fodder.

DD9A5A66-58AF-4E8C-9C85-B884716AA8F6.jpeg

Just an update for anyone who was following. Our patient recovered well. I kept him inside until he seemed to be strong enough again and without pain. About 7-10 days if I remember. Cleaned him two-three times daily with fresh water, a Betadine rinse, and applied triple antibiotic. Being a duck, his foot was probably sterile and clean for all of about two minutes before he got it filthy again, despite doing my best to keep his pen clean. The first day back with the flock, the lateral most toe auto-amputated. About a week later roughly half of the middle toe auto-amputated. His stump has been stable since then and he gets around just fine. As we suspected, he is a bit taller, a bit greener, and a lot quieter than the others. So our lone drake is our stumpy friend now.

Back
Top Bottom