Signs of a molt coming or something worse?

Hey everyone, thanks for all of your helpful and supportive responses. The hen in question has started laying again and her voice has become stronger. I still see her resting in the run more often than not, I have also noticed she purrs a lot while doing this. Maybe she just wants to relax and feels content?
She seems fine and has been laying more regularly over the last week. :D
I'm glad she's improving.

The purring is a bit curious. I'd check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

That's very good!

Now I'm even more curious...can you get a video of her purring? Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.
Mine make a noise sometimes that could be likened to purring or a low soft growl. They do it when they see a hawk or something that they think is a threat and it's a warning sound. It could be she's warning the other birds not to mess with her.

Mine make a noise sometimes that could be likened to purring or a low soft growl. They do it when they see a hawk or something that they think is a threat and it's a warning sound. It could be she's warning the other birds not to mess with her.
Mine make those noises too but laying /resting in the run quite often (more than normal) along with purring and she's had some issues that were concerning to the OP, I'd investigate further.

Words and descriptions can sometimes be up to interpretation of the reader and may not be completely understood. Purring to one may be gurgling to another, I've often found, if possible, videos of noises can be extremely helpful this way everyone hears it and can better make suggestions. And of course, for other things, photos speak volumes too.

Back
Top Bottom