Signs of a molt coming or something worse?

Littlefoxhat

Chirping
Aug 21, 2023
Los Angeles, CA
Hi all, I have a flock of four hens that have been laying for about two months.

About two weeks ago 8/8 one of my girls (black australorp) seemed like she might be egg bound; straining, sitting a lot on the run floor, standing a little funny, she just seemed "off" in her behavior mostly. I soaked her in Epsom salt only to have her eject a huge wet, smelly (like rotten eggs, sulphur) poo and then she seemed to bounce back. She laid an egg on 8/9 and 8/10, then skipped 8/11. On 8/12 she stayed in the coop when I let them out in the morning and she seemed really sleepy - standing aloof with one eye closed and very lethargic. I soaked her again and same thing - she had a gross smelly poo and then seemed to perk up again. The poo seemed to have some greenish, small seeds in it. 8/13 she laid but still seemed a little tired - sitting a lot- but eating and drinking fine. I thought that maybe she had eaten some underripe tomatoes on accident. Over the rest of the weekend she seemed to get slowly better, and laid a couple eggs and had a couple off days. I think the last time she laid was 8/17 or 8/18, though it's hard to say exactly because her eggs look like those of my Rhode island red. I am 99% sure she did not lay over the weekend.

Australorp has been eating and drinking regularly, healthy looking comb and wattle, no obvious signs of distress that I have noticed, and I have checked for mites/lice in the past couple days. None of the other chickens seem off at all, it's just the one bird. I often find her sitting on the floor of the run, but she does get up if I come in. She still fights me like normal when I try and pick her up, too. Her voice has gotten soft and breathy, where she used to have a strong cluck and be pretty loud. She is making very soft, almost sad noises. Not really wheezing and I have not observed any major coughing or sneezing.

The birds are about 24 weeks give or take. Is she going to molt soon? She seems healthy overall and I don't want to stress her out with a bunch of treatments because I'm not sure there is anything absolutely wrong. Should I be more concerned?

Last edited:
What do you feed your hens? Do you ever use probiotics or give them some occasional plain unsweetened yogurt? Do they get have crushed oyster shell and some grit available for free feeding? Hens can pass some cecal droppings once or twice a day that are pretty smelly and sticky. I would just observe her to make sure that she is really having a problem. Hopefully, her occasional sleepy behavior is nothing to worry about. Check her crop early in the morning when you have a chance before she eats or drinks, to make sure that her crop is emptying overnight. Hens can lay irregularly or take breaks during very hot weather and other times of the year. Has there been any stress in the flock? Have you see any unusual eggs shells?

What do you feed your hens? Do you ever use probiotics or give them some occasional plain unsweetened yogurt? Do they get have crushed oyster shell and some grit available for free feeding? Hens can pass some cecal droppings once or twice a day that are pretty smelly and sticky. I would just observe her to make sure that she is really having a problem. Hopefully, her occasional sleepy behavior is nothing to worry about. Check her crop early in the morning when you have a chance before she eats or drinks, to make sure that her crop is emptying overnight. Hens can lay irregularly or take breaks during very hot weather and other times of the year. Has there been any stress in the flock? Have you see any unusual eggs shells?
I feed them whole grain grower feed (i think it's 17% protein) and they have free choice oyster shells and occasionally get eggshells too. Treats include black soldier fly larvae and black oil sunflower seeds. I have not given yogurt or probiotics, could that be an issue for their digestion?

I am keeping an eye on her crop, but I will make sure to check it tomorrow morning first thing.

As for stressors, nothing out of the ordinary, they tend to be pretty relaxed and just make a fuss when they see us because they think they are getting a treat. As far as unusual egg shells, I had a couple right when they started to lay, but have not had any for about a month.

The weather has been weird and cloudy lately and of course we just had a day and a half of rain. Could her laying be affected by that?

Thank you for your reply :)

When she has another of those yucky poops, can you get photos of it?

I'd be inclined to give her extra Calcium for a week to see if that helps.
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Her waxing and waning, feeling better after expelling the material and then being able to lay o.k. for a few days and then going right back to the same behavior....she may have a reproductive issue or Salpingitis. Hard to know, but I'd try Calcium and see if that helps get her system going.

1692675453044.png

I will try to get a photo of the next yucky poo, I work during the day but I'll see what I can do or if my husband sees one I'll let him know to snap a picture.

I checked her over this morning, her crop was completely empty. I felt her abdomen as well and pressed on it lightly, and it seemed normal, not hard or swollen that I could tell. I could hear a little bit of wheezing from her while I was handling her, but she did run away from me and made it difficult for me to check her over. Her eyes are clear and bright, no runny nose or coughing/sneezing.

@Wyorp Rock I'll give the extra calcium a try. Is there a dose I should look for specifically? I am not familiar with the tablet size of the brand pictured, but should I break tablets in half if they are too large?

Thanks again to everyone for your help :)

I will try to get a photo of the next yucky poo, I work during the day but I'll see what I can do or if my husband sees one I'll let him know to snap a picture.

I checked her over this morning, her crop was completely empty. I felt her abdomen as well and pressed on it lightly, and it seemed normal, not hard or swollen that I could tell. I could hear a little bit of wheezing from her while I was handling her, but she did run away from me and made it difficult for me to check her over. Her eyes are clear and bright, no runny nose or coughing/sneezing.

@Wyorp Rock I'll give the extra calcium a try. Is there a dose I should look for specifically? I am not familiar with the tablet size of the brand pictured, but should I break tablets in half if they are too large?

Thanks again to everyone for your help :)
Look for 600mg calcium citrate. She can swallow a whole tablet, but if you wish, you can break it in half and give it to her in 2 pieces.

Hey everyone, thanks for all of your helpful and supportive responses. The hen in question has started laying again and her voice has become stronger. I still see her resting in the run more often than not, I have also noticed she purrs a lot while doing this. Maybe she just wants to relax and feels content?
She seems fine and has been laying more regularly over the last week. :D

Back
Top Bottom