SIGNS OF NUBIAN/NIGERIAN DWARF GOAT DEIVERY

nchls school

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Tennessee
I am new to keeping goats. Today I noticed that one doe has a very developed udder and is about as big around as she is tall; maybe more so. It seems a sure thing that she is pregnant with her first kids. The weather here has been dropping into the teens and twenties at night and I am worried she will go into labor when I don't know it. I've already heard about a couple who had kids born only to die of the cold and wet.

I have no idea when she was bred. Is there a way to know when delivery is imminent/soon? I do not want anything to happen to the kids and, because she is so small, I'm worried she will need help with delivering.

I am new to keeping goats. Today I noticed that one doe has a very developed udder and is about as big around as she is tall; maybe more so. It seems a sure thing that she is pregnant with her first kids. The weather here has been dropping into the teens and twenties at night and I am worried she will go into labor when I don't know it. I've already heard about a couple who had kids born only to die of the cold and wet.

I have no idea when she was bred. Is there a way to know when delivery is imminent/soon? I do not want anything to happen to the kids and, because she is so small, I'm worried she will need help with delivering.
I don't have any experience with this type of thing but I have heard that you can check the ligaments right above their tails and if they are there and feel like pencils then they are not delivering within the next 24 hours. If they are soft or just not there, then they are going to deliver soon (within the next 24 hours) I am pretty sure this is true but I am not 100% sure. hope this helps a little bit!

I don't have any experience with this type of thing but I have heard that you can check the ligaments right above their tails and if they are there and feel like pencils then they are not delivering within the next 24 hours. If they are soft or just not there, then they are going to deliver soon (within the next 24 hours) I am pretty sure this is true but I am not 100% sure. hope this helps a little bit!
Thank you, I will check to see if I can feel what you describe.
Will do. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom