1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Signs of starting to lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NickyPick, May 26, 2011.

1. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    My chickens are 13+ weeks old now. I've got a mix from Ideal: EE's, Wyandottes, Orps and Brahmas. I've been noticing the last couple of days that the girls are starting to get pink (some dark pink) around the eyes, wattles and combs. From what I've read, this is a sign that they're getting ready to start laying eggs. But the age is a lot lower than what I've read. Help? Do I need to hurry up and get the nest boxes in the coop or do I still have time?

2. nuts4chickens

nuts4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    You probably have a little more time to get your nest boxes up. Most chickens don't lay until 16 to 20ish weeks depending on breed. They will get very red combs and begin to "squat" when you try to pet them or walk near them, especially if you dont have a rooster. When they start squatting I have always found they will lay very soon.

3. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    yeah, you've got some time yet [​IMG]

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I would get the boxes ready now & put some fake eggs in it. That way they will have time to get aquainted with the boxes. I had a meeting with my young pullets the other day about where they need to lay the eggs & they all agreed that the nesting boxs was where the eggs would be layed. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by