Sil go link hens

NWayne

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 10, 2012
So I've got 35 sil go link hens. I get two dozen a day and I'm not exactly sure if that's right or if we should be getting more. I know they are cracking them because I see egg whites and yolks in the boxes. How do I fix this? I can't afford the roll-out nesting boxes, and the mustard doesn't work, neither did the golf ball. I've been putting hay in the nesting boxes but I have to do it every day and it takes too much hay.
So it would help if anyone has suggestions.

NWayne

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 10, 2012
Well the shells are already really strong. But I could try that. How much oyster shell is in the normal mix? And how much should I do?

SarahInAlaska

Songster
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
So if you don't do hay in the nest box what are you putting in there? If you don't have enough bedding in that might be the problem. I put hay in my girls nest boxes and I don't have to add any as a general rule unless I'm cleaning things. I had eggs breaking for a while and noticed my hens were shifting the hay so much that when they'd stand up to lay the egg would drop and hit solid wood. I packed the nesting boxes until I almost thought they couldn't get in and I've stopped having them break. Just a thought.

Johnn

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
Also do you have enough nest boxes? Because I have found with my own hens that if too many eggs are layed in one box then some get broken.

NWayne

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 10, 2012
I've got a 1" x 3" on the nesting boxes but they still either eat it or scratch it out. I've got at least 12 nesting boxes is that too little? I think I heard 1 box for every 4 birds.

PSJ

Songster
8 Years
Apr 15, 2011
Sabine Parish, La
I would think 12 would be enough. The lip on the boxes may not be big enough. Do you have a picture of your nesting boxes? That would help.

Top Bottom