Siled Laced Wyandotte Hen or Rooster?

Amo78

Hatching
Jul 16, 2016
I have heard a somewhat pathetic attempt at a crow around 4:30 or 5am for a couple mornings and I can't tell if I have a Rooster in the flock or just noisy hens. They are all about 9-1/2 weeks old.

Does it look like this Silver laced is a Rooster? she/he seems to be a little less social with me and a little more skittish/jumpy than the others.

Any thoughts?

welcome-byc.gif

Yep, that Wyandotte is your crower.

Everyone else looks female though.

Is it the feathering that tips you off? Still learning and I know the crop and wattle are not sure indicators with Wyandotte's.

He is too young to be getting saddle feathers yet,around 12 weeks you should see the feathering.....

Is it the feathering that tips you off? Still learning and I know the crop and wattle are not sure indicators with Wyandotte's.
The first thing for me is the redness and size of the comb and wattles. No matter the breed, this much red in those areas at this age indicates male. Some breeds can develop slower, and you may think you have a female but it turns out to be a male. But with this much redness this young, there's no way that bird is female.

Silver laced birds also have the bonus of the difference in feathering. His pattern is different than a female's would be, with the patchy white coming in.

Back
Top Bottom