Silent layer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lofty bok bok, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Lofty bok bok

Lofty bok bok Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Our Wyandotte is sneaky as ever with her egg laying. Its our first layer so we want to catch her in the act. We've tried to listen for her laying and an after lay announcement LOL. NOTHING!. So I found her in the coop and knew she was about to go I sat there for like 45 minutes looking through a crack. [​IMG] She must be shy because I set up a camera and within 12 minutes she did it. SILENT from beginning to end. From reading some of others behaviors it was so anticlimactic.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

90% of our layers make nary a sound. They just go about their business.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    New laying pullets usually don't make much of a sound.

4. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    I thought this was funny, my RSL sang the egg song the other day after I took the eggs she was on... ran out in the pen and sang and sang!!

5. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    the only time my girls make a sound is if another hen walks past the nest box and then its a warning growl.. mine dont do that egg song others talk about.. ..
    [​IMG]
    I had to give the girls a good talking to this am.. I have 12 hens at laying age and I am getting 5 eggs a day and its the same girls.. so we are having a problem with some sharing of the work load ... told them that they will be in coop/ hen yard lock up, till Momma gets her eggs..

[​IMG] [​IMG]

ooh,,, there was a lot of grumbling going on when I turned out all the youngsters and the roos to the back yard [​IMG] and all the girls had to stay in the hen yard and coop... [​IMG] I told them... give me Eggs and you can go roam... I got a lot of the stink eye looks from them but I have to lay down some tough love..

)O(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by