Silicone RV Roof coating for roof?

In theory? Yes. In practice? Why would you?

Every penetration thru the plywood to secure it (nail or screw) can potentially rust and create problems underneath. The plywood itself will shift, expand and contract thermally with the seasons, tugging at every butt joint between sheets (unless you imagine a roof just 4'x8'). The stuff is outrageously expensive, at least $55 a gallon, and will destroy your brush and roller during application, so figure $65/gallon+ with tools (it will, however, peel right out of the tray). We used it -2 gals- to redo the top of our RV, about 250 sq ft - over existing silicone and membrane.

Peel and stick sheet roofing material, like GAF uses as underlayment for low slope roofs is thicker, has similar stretch, is membrane reinforced, and a similar price point. A single roll is either 1 square, or 1.5 squares, and depending on MFG, will run $50 -$100 a roll.

And lumber prices being what they are right now, if roofing from scratch, metal roofing has the current price advantage.

Thank you for the detailed replied! I saw a coop maker in town use RV coating and wanted to know if good idea. Hoping to make a good coop our first time :)
Happy to help. A year ago, I was where you find yourself now. Wish I had asked a few more questions before I got started. No major mistakes, but a couple regrets.

Back
Top Bottom