Silk show cloth?

Hannah Picard

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 10, 2013
At my local county fair we have a very competitive poultry division-- there are a lot of great birds and great exhibitors there. One of the consistent winners at the fair recommended that I use a satin cloth to wipe down my chickens right before showing them, and was even kind enough to give me a piece of satin to use. However, I have always heard that you should use a pure silk cloth, not satin. I've looked several different places, and they've all said silk, not satin. Before I spend a small fortune (silk is so expensive!), I wanted to make sure that satin is absolutely not going to work for "shining up" my chickens. Have any of you had any experience/ luck with using satin, or do you think that silk is the only way to go?

Thanks!

Silk doesn't need to be expensive & yes, that's what you should use.
If you have a Good Will, Salvation Army or other thrift shop go there & look through the women's blouses. You'll find a silk one. Cut it up & you'll have enough poloishing cloths to last for years.

Thanks so much! I'll make sure I get my hands on something that will actually work before the show in July.
I guess now I have an excuse to go thrifting. If all else fails, I can steal some silk biking tights from someone I know
wink.png

Last edited:
Silk doesn't need to be expensive & yes, that's what you should use.
If you have a Good Will, Salvation Army or other thrift shop go there & look through the women's blouses. You'll find a silk one. Cut it up & you'll have enough poloishing cloths to last for years.
This is exactly what we used to do for showing horses. There's LOT more surface area to a horse than to a chicken, and one or two blouses could last at least a couple seasons (If you didn't lose it.......
roll.png
). You find silk blouses, silk thermal underwear, nighties, lots of things made of silk. The second hand part doesn't effect it at all.

This is exactly what we used to do for showing horses. There's LOT more surface area to a horse than to a chicken, and one or two blouses could last at least a couple seasons (If you didn't lose it.......
roll.png
). You find silk blouses, silk thermal underwear, nighties, lots of things made of silk. The second hand part doesn't effect it at all.
Some years back I buffed a lot of Apps & Quarter Horses with old silk shirt.

Last edited:
I found some silk at a fabric store on clearance... and I had a 50% coupon, so I got 2/3 of a yard at a ridiculously cheap price; so I should be good to go for quite a while. :)
Thanks for your help, everyone!

Back
Top Bottom