1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie and orpington together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lcountry, Jul 6, 2007.

1. lcountry

lcountry Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    Can I safely put an orpington chick in with my silkie chicks? Could they still live together as adults as well?

thanks

2. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    I guess so cause im planning to hatch buffs and already have 3 silkies so I am gonna put them together and there should not be any problem with it, I am not sure never really thought about it. Hopefully some one will come along and shed some more light than I have.

Amanda

3. kybukabu

kybukabu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2007
    Stateline NC-VA
    Sure! They get along great. As a matter of fact, our Silkie rooster has a bit of a crush on the Orpington hen. He hops sideways at me as if to protect her when I go to pick her up, so I have to pick him up first. Cute little man. "Bless his heart."

The only real consideration seems to be age, of course. I would strongly avoid putting chicks in with the big guys until they're old enough to hold their own. I'm introducing Red Stars slowly to the other two.

4. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    I have a friend who has had both male and female silkies and they do just fine. The rooster thought he was "all that" and the hen is now mothering four adopted chicks...she takes her job VERY seriously!! Babies sticking out from under a silkie mother is one of the cuter things I've seen.

And I should add, my friend has had a wide assortment of birds, some very large.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by