Silkie and Polish issues

Fthersnfur4fun

Songster
8 Years
Apr 10, 2016
We have one silkie and one Polish. The rest of our flock consists of buff orpington’s, SLW, GLW, Easter Egger’s, and one old Barred Rock to total 13 hens. No roosters. All are roughly 9 months old. Let me start with our Silkie issue. She has gone broody for the second time of her life. My husband is retired so he lets the girls out and gives them scratch first thing every morning. Zsa Zsa will come running out with the rest of them for the goodies. But for some reason the SLW and the GLW keep chasing and picking on her to the point of pulling some of her feathers out so she runs back to the coop and her nest. This didn’t happen the first time she went broody. Oddly, when she is broody is the only time we can touch her. 🤷🏻‍♀️ She’s the sweetest hen when broody.
Now, the Polish hen. Phyllis is also very docile and won’t fight back. Therefore some of our hens(buff orpington’s I’ve seen do this.) keep picking her head feathers to where she’s just got a rim around her head much like my grandpa had. 😂 We’ve been spraying Blu-Kote on her head at night which seemed to work at first but doesn’t seem to now. We would be able to put them in a separate run but not separate coop. Anyone have any suggestions for either of these girls?

Do you have space for a separate, smaller coop and run for just these two? They may find life a lot easier if they're kept as a side flock instead of living with the bigger girls.
That’s what I’m thinking but I don’t know if my husband will go that far. If I plant the seed in his head and he grumbles about it first then eventually he might come around after he’s thought it over a while. That’s how got the chickens in the first place. 😉

Back
Top Bottom