Silkie and poop in feathers

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
My silkie has got some poop on and matted into her feathers this has happened before alot and not that long ago I gave her a bath to get it all out. I cant keep giving her baths so how should I deal with this? She sleeps on the bottom roost while everyone sleeps on the top so I know how she gets pooped on. I cant put her up on the top bc then they'll pick on her plus she likes to sleep by the window which is the bottom roost

My silkie has got some poop on and matted into her feathers this has happened before alot and not that long ago I gave her a bath to get it all out. I cant keep giving her baths so how should I deal with this? She sleeps on the bottom roost while everyone sleeps on the top so I know how she gets pooped on. I cant put her up on the top bc then they'll pick on her plus she likes to sleep by the window which is the bottom roost
This may not be what you want to hear... but I have read that just chopping some of the down feathers off around the vent works well. Is it just poo caught in the feathers or is it a 'messy vent' cause then it may well be worms.
Not only this, but I agree, if she is being pooed on make the roosts far more staggered so they can't poo on each other!
1603801382271.png
Like this!

Last edited:
This may not be what you want to hear... but I have read that just chopping some of the down feathers off around the vent works well. Is it just poo caught in the feathers or is it a 'messy vent' cause then it may well be worms.
no her vent is fine its on her back where her wings are and partially her neck where all the poop gets matted. she always wants to sleep under the others butts and well then this happens lol

Maybe place her on the higher roost at night. So she gets the hint? Lol is she able to hop up to that higher roost without help? Just trying to think of ways to solve your dirty bird problem!

Back
Top Bottom